The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Tranny go BOOM!!!

Well on my way to work this am the car started bucking and jerking and then to a grinding halt..:( I skidded of the raod(Both rear tires locked up) as I was going 30+, an thank god just got of the highway, 80+..Called AAA towed to a repair shop an they said tranny is no good, rearend spins fine with the drive shaft disconnected fromt he tranny.:(. Down and out for atleast a week. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

1941Galant

Sounds like the t-case went bad to me, which is an easy fix.

Edit: Pull the downpipe, and then it is 5 bolts to remove the t-case. Try and spin either end, if it turns easily, then it's good, if it's locked up, then it's junk. The driveshaft yolk has been known to leak (there was a recall), which lets the gear fluid leak out, causing it to overheat and lockup, which will cause your rear tires to lock up.

Last edited:

Car needs a tranny anyway but that sound like the T case to you. So I definitly should get a t case also.

Yea A few guys on here and DSM graveyard for both the tranny and t case.. Your telling me only 4 weeks, and BOOM!!! Not good,:(

HHIVR4

The t case should be one of the first things you should check when buying an awd dsm or gvr4.

Glad you didnt get hurt and didnt hurt the car.

Quoting mac515:
Called AAA towed to a repair shop

I hope you had it flatbedded. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

spoulson

Heh. Driveshaft yolk. Still makes me chuckle. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

atc250r

Staff member
x10000 you just need a t-case. If the trans shop couldn't diagnose that on their own I'd have ZERO confidence in their ability to properly rebuild that transmission.

John

Yes of course I had it flatbeded.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif,, The shop it is at is not rebuilding my trans, I'm buying one with a t case. Thanx guys too I'm glad I did not crash also Kinda nerve racking thou..

Last edited by a moderator:

spoulson

What's wrong with the transmission that it needs replacement? Chances are, the damage was localized only to the transfer case since the lockup happened at relatively low speed.

Wizardawd

$20 the 'bad' bearing noise was actually the T-case on it's way out.

When you get the new trans, make sure you inspect the seals on both pieces. And maybe go ahead and remove the outer cover of the trans and make sure the 2 36mm nuts are tight. Those nuts will back-off and allow too much slop in the trans, which will cause excessive noise, bearing wear and shifter 'walk' as it used to be called. I've seen a lot of trannies that the nuts backed so far off that they ground holes in the cover.

Wiz

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned