The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Tire size for stock wheels

92_talon_awd

Anybody have suggestions as to what tires I could run on my stock rims? I want something fairly aggressive with a lower sidewall than stock. Harder and harder to find sporty small diameter tires these days as everybody is moving to 17" and bigger. I was looking at 205/50/15 but wondered if there were better options and I don't really want to spend hours checking different sizes on tire rack haha. Thanks guys.

Last edited:

GVR4kauai

My stock 15" have 205/55/15 and looked pretty good. I just did the five lug swap to run 17" and slicks for the track later on! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
205/50/15 are too short. They look dinky in the wheel wells. I bought 115/1000 with that size on, and went back to stock size. The 205/55/1 mentioned would be better. Slightly lower profile, but greater width than stock.

gvr4ever

I used to run 205/55 and it looked slightly more aggressive, but if the groves on the HWY are bad, I thought they tracked a little funny. Last time I went with the stock size Yokohama YK580 (discount tire only model) and the side walls look very clean to other stock size tires I've seen. They don't look thick and bulky at all.

Last edited:

prove_it

I liked the 205/55 but they were way more spendy than 205/60. I really didn't notice a different and if I had stock rims, I would go with the 205/60r15. Just because it's a more common size and a little cheaper.

It really depends on what your expecting the tires to do. Do you just need replacements or are you looking for performance.

Also 205/50 is short. It works and will perform great, but yea, it will look funny. Kinda like the cars with small rims and tires with hydraulics.

92_talon_awd

Thanks for the suggestions, guess I'll be looking at 205/60's. I'm not going to be doing anything extreme on the tires, I only drive the car about once a week when it's nice out and I don't have any plans to track the car or anything like that.

92_talon_awd

So I looked and looked at TireRack. Couldn't find anything I liked in the sizes suggested. Ended up ordering a set of General G-Max's. Only size I could use was 195/55. I'm dropping the car a bit using H&R's so hopefully they will fill out the wheel well enough. Thanks for all the suggestions and I'll post some pics up when I get them installed.

92_talon_awd

Got the new tires on, I don't think they don't look bad. Should look better when I get my H&R's on there.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned