The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Tips on removing exhaust manifold.

veganbutcher

Got most of the bolts off of the cracked stock manifold and have a 2g manifold ready to go on but there is one bolt on the drivers side of the manifold that is tucked behind the power steering pump just enough that I can't reach it with any tools that I have. Is there any way of removing this one without removing the power steering pump first?

I'll post pictures tonight after work to clear up any confusion.

Last edited:

se7enine

That nut is an SOB to get to but I was able to use an offset wrench and it worked. Was slow going but worked.

Barnes

I'm pretty much of the opinion that removing the power pump, and bracket are relatively easy. I would say that's WAY easier than trying to get at that nut with the p/s pump and bracket still attatched.

A small amount of extra work removing some other stuff will make an extremely difficult task trivially easy.

Captn

I use a gearwrench 1/4" ratchet gets it off just fine... Sure I can only move 3-4 clicks a time but it works.

veganbutcher

I don't own any offset wrenches so I'll probably end up removing the power steering pump /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

prove_it

It takes 5 minutes to remove the pump and bracket, really. That way you can torque the manifold nuts down and not deal with broken studs down the road.

veganbutcher

Quoting prove_it:
It takes 5 minutes to remove the pump and bracket, really. That way you can torque the manifold nuts down and not deal with broken studs down the road.

In that case I'll remove it after work today, I thought it would be a longer process.

prove_it

Three 14mm bolts on the pump, two are under the pulley, you'll need a way to turn the crank to line up the slots, move pump out of the way and the bracket has three bolts. Done and done.

veganbutcher

It's not dumping rain outside so I got to working on this again today and I can't seem to find a way to successfully turn the serpentine belt, I see a large nut on the alternator but it's far too close to the side of the engine bay to reach.

b00st33d

You dont need to remove the alternator belt to do this. Just loosen up the bolts on the power steering pump like they mentioned above and push the pump towards the head to remove the ps belt. You need to jack up all four wheels and turn the crank bolt with a 1/2" ratchet with extension. There is a writeup in vfaq on how to do this. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

jnava

Staff member
I just used one of those joints that flex. Bought one from Harbor for 4 bucks and its been a life saver.

Last edited:

dsmless

I just use a swivel socket with a swivel extention, and thats that.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned