The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

third brake light, has it been done?

Brunoboy

Ok so I know in CA we need 3rd brake lights, IDK if thats true for all States. Well I am deciding to go wingless, and since our wings have our third brake light, I would have to figure out something else to do. Right now I have a AMG wing on with the 3rd brakelight and i am going to take it off. I was looking at my friends Evo and noticed their brake light and brake light housing is in the back window. I was wondering if anyone has attempted to install an Evo VIII/IX rear brake light? I am pretty sure with a few modifications to make it fit, it can be done. Has anyone done this? and if so, do you have pics?
-Shane

turbowop

The Galants that didn't have wings had the third brake light in the back window as well. I'm sure you can find the parts in a junkyard.

I'm actually having a wingless trunk painted this week for 1051. I won't be installing a third brake light though. Not needed in WA as far as I know.

Brunoboy

oh good to know, so any 88-93 galant without wings should have a third brake light thats compatible with our cars?

turbowop

Yup. But I'm not sure what all you'll need. Possibly the package shelf as well, so finding the right color may be difficult.

Brunoboy

hmm, if anything i will just drill into it or cut it out. thanks for the help Wop.

turbowop

I just meant the cardboard part, but yeah, you could probably just cut into it if needed. I would think the metal underneath on our cars is the same on the base model Galants.

I need to find a set of trunk lid springs from the junkyard that are made for a wingless lid. The ones made for the winged lid are way too powerful and the lid flies up like crazy when popped from inside the car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Last edited:

Brunoboy

lol is it? I have never noticed it flying up at me ahaha.

omertaitalia

Quoting turbowop:
I just meant the cardboard part, but yeah, you could probably just cut into it if needed. I would think the metal underneath on our cars is the same on the base model Galants.

I need to find a set of trunk lid springs from the junkyard that are made for a wingless lid. The ones made for the winged lid are way too powerful and the lid flies up like crazy when popped from inside the car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

really mine must be weak, im planning on finilizing my wing delete this year, gonna get the holes welded up, and im not gonna install the 3rd light, i was running without it for a year almost and never got pulled over.you need to register in nv shane, im going to in a couple months, sounds like the cops in the bay are nazis, la isnt even that strict.

Brunoboy

To register in NV I need an address and I need a valid license from there, also Reno ad las Vegas are the only two cities in NV that have smog as I've heard.

maroonmetallic

Quoting turbowop:
Yup. But I'm not sure what all you'll need.

You will need to cut your existing shelf panel (the fabric piece)
I cant remeber if there is brackets mounted to the metal shelf or if the light assembly bolts right in.

I can take a look this week if you'd like as I have a spoiler-less non-VR4.
I might even have the parts needed to swap a spoiler equipped car.

Wiring will need to be altered to reach & connect the window third brake light assembly.

-Shawn

Brunoboy

thatd be great if you can find out for me, and if possible take pics. Also are you willing to part with the third brake light? if so let me know.
-Shane

omertaitalia

Quoting brunoboy:
To register in NV I need an address and I need a valid license from there, also Reno ad las Vegas are the only two cities in NV that have smog as I've heard.

ya my neighbor has a nv liscence with a ca address on it, im just gonna get a po box in gardnerville since its the closest to me and does not have smog. prolly gonna suck to have to take my motorcycle driving test over again but car shouldnt be a big deal, my liscence is expired next year anyway.

Brunoboy

so if i open a PO box in Nevada, I can register my vehicles there but id still have to get a Nevada License right?

Brunoboy

Yea , damn it aha

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned