The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Tein Specialized Damper Program

minneSNOWta

I emailed Tein about getting a coilover setup and this is what they told me.

Quote:
Hello Andre,

Thank you for your interest in TEIN High Performance Suspension Products.

Unfortunately we do not carry any (lowering springs or Damper Kit type) for your application here in the U.S. or in Japan. However we do offer our Specialized Damper program for vehicles like yours. Starting price for this program is $3000 for the standard ride height adjustable kit and would go up depending on added features. Please check with your local distributor for inquiries regarding this program.

Just in case anybody was wondering.

RedTwo

The local distributor estimated about NZ$600 per corner for custom built Tein coilovers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

cheekychimp

They clearly just aren't interested in the business in my opinion. I heard rumours years ago that TEIN would do any of their previous products as a special order but when I tried to order a set of HAs the local distributor said "No!"

ApexHunter

TEIN can make a good shock, however i'd bet the one that you get for $3k is probably going to be fundamentally the same as what they used in the $1k HA/SS kit that they used to produce for this car. Not a bad street shock, but yeah ditto the above- you could do a lot better if you've got $3k.

I talked to them a few years ago about doing a run of one of the kits they used to produce for this car. The deal was that one would need to purchase at least 20 kits, pay in full up front, and be cool with 90-120 day lead time. The price would be significantly better than if you were to do a one off kit, but still for the energy spent i'm sure you could do better.

DR1665

Quoting 4thStroke:
Uh, $3000 can get you a hell of a lot better coilover than TEIN.

Yeah. You could get a set of custom-valved, inverted 50mm Bilsteins on springs actually conducive to high performance driving for about $2500.

OR, could probably get in touch with Toybreaker. I think John might be willing to hook up a group buy on some hybrid Koni adjustable setups for a couple hundo per corner. I figure John could spec out a $1600 set of suspenders what would outperform pretty much anything twice that price you'd find advertised in the tuner rags.

Just a thought.

Diego

Toybreaker is a god.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

minneSNOWta

There's no way I would spend $3K on them either. This thread is more of a "right from the horse's mouth" for people who are wondering if they can get a Tein setup. Hybrid Koni's sound interesting.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned