The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Swapped in HKS cams, now no compression / Cooling issue [BOTH RESOLVED]

coyotes

I will take that hood off your hands brett, since obviously it isn't doing you any good. I'm super curious to see now if a shield or blanket solves your water temp issue.

GSTwithPSI

Lol. You mean like this? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif
CIMG0203.JPG

G

Staff member
I don't think your problems are 100% because of the mani, I think the mani is exacerbating the hot engine problem. Something else is going on with your coolant, thermostat, radiator, heater core, blockage or something in your engine build is not right. I think the stock mani with no heat shield would be doing the same thing. I have this same ex mani and it works great. You need to a) make a heat shield from some type of aluminum alloy similar to the stock material. b) ceramic coat it. or c) install a blanket. Then you need to re-route your jpipe and/ or install a reflective material that will not allow heat to transfer in to the j-pipe. You trying to keep your ac? If not then you also need to do a tucked scirocco rad to free up some room. You have jdm hood vents, those should be helping a lot. Here is how mine was set up in 2007. J-pipe not over the mani. Scirocco rad. White lightning coating. No heat problems.

DSC00310.jpg

G

Staff member
Really? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif Captain obvious.

Last edited:

turbowop

Prove me wrong. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

I have logs. What do you have? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

Last edited:

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Quoting turbowop:
The j-pipe has zero bearing on how hot the engine runs.

Would have to agree that intake air temps have minimal if any effect on coolant temps. Source of all that heat is combustion.

*The only way I see it having any affect is if the higher intake temps cause retarded spark which will cause higher cylinder temps, but that can be logged as mentioned.

G

Staff member
I wasn't suggesting that a heat soaked j-pipe was the problem.

GSTwithPSI

Quoting G:
I don't think your problems are 100% because of the mani, I think the mani is exacerbating the hot engine problem.

That's exactly what I said in my previous post, and I completely agree.

^^^Quoting GSTwithPSI:
Here's the deal, I'm just not getting enough airflow through the engine bay. Period. In addition, my current setup (largely the FP manifold) is causing some heat soak issues, which amplifies the heat in the stagnant engine compartment.

Where I didn't agree is when you said:

Quoting G:
Cheeky, their are no heat issues with the fp manifold. No more than the stock manifold.

G, I do appreciate your feedback, but I don't think that's an accurate statement in the least. As I said, the FP manifold has a well documented history of causing issues. With the setup you posted up, I wouldn't expect you to experience any cooling issues. I feel like the setup you had, and the setup I have are like comparing apples to oranges. If I were to make all the changes you've suggested, I'm sure my cooling issues would all be corrected. I could ditch my A/C, reroute my piping and do a bunch of other stuff, but that just isn't going to happen right now due to budget, preference or other factors.

I think issue is simple, and I'm just not getting enough airflow through my heat soaked engine compartment. I don't think something to do with my engine build is causing the issue at this point. Although I can't rule it out, I believe the circumstances I explained in my previous post confirm the fact that excess heat and lack of airflow are the real issues here.

I'm thinking of a number things to do in the short term to fix some of my problems. I think I'll start by putting a blanket on the manifold, as well as a heat shield, as Mark suggested. I think I may swap my Eterna grille back in temporarily just to see what effect that has on airflow. When budget allows, I'll look into picking up a Evo 3 radiator as prove_it suggested. If not considering these things before hand makes me a noob, then so be it.

prove_it

When I swapped my FP manifold on, I did no other mods or changing of a single thing. I went from no heat issues, to having high idle temps.

I've seen it first hand, on my own build. The Fp mani puts out more heat. End of story, it's actually a well known fact to anyone running one.

coyotes

Brett, what's your logs say? How much timing, what's your IATs, any knock? Is it pulling timing when you hit your high water temps?

What is your ignition timing set to? Wastegate boost levels right? Sorry for all the questions.

Last edited:

GSTwithPSI

Typically, IATs are typically around 120. No knock. The ecu only has the ability to pull 2 degrees of timing total just taking coolant temp into consideration. Ignition timing is set to 5 degrees BTDC. Boost is locked at 8-10psi.

At this point, I'm fairly confident I've identified the issues. I just need to figure out the best way to implement a solution under my time and budget constraints. The car only gets driven for pleasure, so it's not like I need to do a bunch of sh*t right now. If I really want to drive the car, I'll just take the hood off /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I appreciate them.

Edit: 120 at idle. I'm logging around 85-90 at cruise, which is a bit above ambient here.

Last edited:

G

Staff member
You asked what my experience was with the fp mani that's why I posted my experience. At this point it seems your best option is too install the blanket and see what happens. I still think something else is wrong. The stock fans should be able to get your temps down.

prove_it

Brett, do you have A/C? Is the radiator stock? If yes and yes, it could be that the fins are plugged with dirt and debris, which hinders airflow across the cores.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned