The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

stupid tranny...

coyotes

Use your knee and your arms to push it up into place. Line it up on the dowel pins and stick it in.

EMX5636

Quoting coyotes:
Use your knee and your arms to push it up into place. Line it up on the dowel pins and stick it in.

This is how I did it before my lift. Sit it on your chest, push up, get your knee under it, and twist/wiggle until it slides on the dowels.

If you have access to a second person, they can stand over the fender and pick it up with the shift linkage and casting near the pass side axle. Then you can at least get a little weight off you. DSM/GVR4's are easy, Evo's are a bit heavier. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

NYC86ZC

Quoting gvr4144:
How strong are you..? lol im 200 pounds and know im stronger then most. Seemed like i was going to get it but the throw out bearing popped off and my shoulder got pinned under it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif lol

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif I feel your pain. I'm 6'3" 200+ and going through the same thing with my trans. I've done it a few times before without issue. This time around has been hell.

Good luck man!

92_talon_awd

I too use the transmission on chest method, super easy. I wouldn't recommend the lifting from above method. When you lift with your back, you are supposed to keep your spine straight and your head and neck raised. Pretty much impossible to do when lifting the trans from above unless you have the body dimensions of Shaq. You will very likely hurt your back trying.

Last edited:

ade

it can easily be put back in with a jack saving you future back problems, you just have to reverse the initial twist as it goes up and in.

Edit: scratch that! taking it out was easy, putting it back in wasnt.

Last edited:

transparentdsm

^ thats what im saying.

also im like 165 pounds and 6'1" and i lift it from the top always, a few times i hurt my back, mainly when i left the gusset plate in place because the trans comes out easy with it still in and i forget and try to leave it in when i reinstall.

NYC86ZC

I had to move my engine forward an inch or so to get the trans diff to clear the rear crossmember. I had no issues taking my trans out and never had an issue putting one in before. This time I didn't have enough room. I pulled the front and rear mount pins, moved the engine forward an inch and slid on the trans in about 20 seconds.

click

Good luck.

gvr4144

Okay guys got to work on my car today and i got it..! I ended up using a jack and a enigine lift with not too much effort. Thanks for all you suggestions guys i really appreciate it.

prove_it

Quoting EMX5636:
Quoting coyotes:

This is how I did it before my lift. Sit it on your chest, push up, get your knee under it, and twist/wiggle until it slides on the dowels.

If you have access to a second person, they can stand over the fender and pick it up with the shift linkage and casting near the pass side axle. Then you can at least get a little weight off you. DSM/GVR4's are easy, Evo's are a bit heavier. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Don't try to do an Evo alone. OMG. Did one in 06, totally sucked. No one knew it had a pull clutch either, holy hell that was brutal, the GVR4 is very cut and dry. I've done it alone, but best to have an assistant cause if it falls on you.....

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned