The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Still Pushing coolant after new HG, High Pressure Causes?

moidsm1

for coolant I am running one gal of non mix and one half gal 50/50. I just filled intil it overflowed.

I guess I will put the thermostat in, but I thought it would run cooler without it. Is that my downfall?

Barnes

Running without a thermostat is perhaps your problem. The car will not run cooler. It is rather counter intuitive, but you wind up with a situation where the coolant flows so fast in the radiator that it doesn't have time to cool.

Frankly I don't understand this myself, I want to do the math one day. However I've seen it stated by a ton of folks that this is the case. Either way, you will want a thermostat in a proper system, so taking it out will only help to screw up your diagnosis if it is something else.

the T-stat is a Thermal Regulation Valve for your engine's cooling system, YES you need it. No it's not your downfall. And, Just be sure that you don't reinstall it upside-down.

also keep in mind that most radiator or coolant caps are pressure sensitive valves to your overflow reservoir, they actually have a specific pressure rating and pressure range they're supposed to operate at. G/L

Quoting BarnesMobile:
Running without a thermostat is perhaps your problem. The car will not run cooler. It is rather counter intuitive, but you wind up with a situation where the coolant flows so fast in the radiator that it doesn't have time to cool.

Frankly I don't understand this myself, I want to do the math one day. However I've seen it stated by a ton of folks that this is the case. Either way, you will want a thermostat in a proper system, so taking it out will only help to screw up your diagnosis if it is something else.

+1^^^^ Theres a few things bad about NOT having a Thermostat installed;
1) the engine coolant takes longer to heat up.
2) Coolant Flows through it so fast that engine heat doesn't have time to transfer into the coolant.
3) Once the coolant becomes heated, it will flow too fast through the radiator to exchange the heat and cool back down.

Drive your car through traffic for an hour on a hot summer's day w/o a thermostat and you'll most likely overheat.

moidsm1

Thanks everyone for your replies. I wanted to get the work done last night but I was pulled away by other circumstances. I should get it done tonight tho.

I was under the impression that it would run cooler wothout the T-Stat like in the winter when the coolant doesnt doesnt warm up. But reading your replies makes total sense. The water is flowing so fast that it isnt getting cooled by the radiator! I feel like a noob. I will post back with the outcome.

moidsm1

I installed last night, No more Overheating! I bought an autozone duralast brand. Before I bought it I compared it to their other brand valuecraft. The idiot at the counter says, "What do you want to see both for, their the same thing?" The Duralast has a way larger opening for water to flow through. And the Duralast has MOTORAD Stamped on the bottom, so I guess they just repackage them.

So anyhow good results idling in the garage. I havent driven it yet, I still have a shifter cable issue, I bought some bearings but the center opening was too small. Im going back today to see if they have the right size.

To clear things up and close out this thread I guess the issue was overheating the whole time. The pressure in the hoses was caused by boiling coolant. Thanks for everyones help in this matter in helping me understand my mis-diagnoses.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned