The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

ss clutch line

Brunoboy

so for the longest time, i had a ss line replacing the stock rubber hose to the slave cylinder, i somehow messed it up and replaced it with the stocker rubber again and noticed that clutch pedal pressure isnt as hard as before. Is this normal?
-Shane

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
That is one of the benefits of the stainless hose, less expansion under pressure. An old hose will certainly expand more than a stainless one.

Brunoboy

thats what im feeling then, i just thought there was air in the line, its not allowing me to adjust clutch right and its grabbing right off the floor. -__-.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
You may need to make an adjustment if the clutch lever stroke is no longer the same.

beaner

Probably some air. I went from the stock line to a solid brake line and in all honesty I didn't notice a difference. Definitely try to bleed it more.

Barnes

I'm in the 'it's probably air' camp. I'd be surprised if you could notice the difference.

Brunoboy

I am on the last thread of the MC rod....I can adjust it anymore higher, When I first installed the master and slave the pedal pressure was very tough compared to now, and my catch point was at atleast 1-2 inches of the floor. I dont know what happened.
-Shane

Brunoboy

brothers in the car, pump a couple times, i break the slave, re tighten and he continues to pump while i watch the fluid level and refill as needed. I just ordered a Slave-Master ss kit.
-Shane

jepherz

Staff member
In theory, the SS line should resist expansion more than a typical rubber line, but I highly doubt it's enough to make a significant difference at the pedal. I think you're just not getting the air out.

Brunoboy

i drove the car around, and it seems the pressure is back and it grabs normal now......Does this happen? Takes awhile for it to gain pressure?

beaner

Maybe there's an air bubble and it moved around or something? Not sure man. I always use more than enough fluid to make sure I flush the entire system. On the last pump I'll leave the pedal on the floor and then use my thumb to compress the slave rod all the way before tightening the bleeder. Works every time.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Quoting brunoboy:
brothers in the car, pump a couple times, i break the slave, re tighten and he continues to pump while i watch the fluid level and refill as needed. I just ordered a Slave-Master ss kit.
-Shane

I have a partner pump and slowly press the pedal and let me know when the pressure is gone. I crack the bleeder when they say, "pump", and I close the bleeder when they say, "floor".
Unless there is pressure being exerted in the system, it doesn't seem to take too well. I know the manuals can state certain ways to do this, but gravity bleed, the step I mentioned above, and then pressing in the slave with the rod by hand, and the bleeder cracked, close bleeder, the allow the cylinder/rod to retract and refill the bore with fluid, seems to work great. One drawback from the original looking slave that was on there when I upgraded mt pressure plate and clutch, is doing the rod trick at the end, folded the seal over and fluid puked out everywhere but regardless a tired slave and rubber hoses could not keep up with the new ACT 2100 plate.

However you do this, the clutch should be 100% repeatable (not mushy one pump and build pressure the next) and should not waiver and may only require some slight adjustment at the pedal/master adjuster up under the dash as a worst case scenario for new parts and or worn parts. After that, there are other things that are suspect.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned