The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

spacers needed on Rx7 fd wheels?

Tre3zy

just wondering.... i while ago i saw a green galant in the forsale section with the FD wheels on it... i came across a good deal on it on craigslist just wondering before i make my decision do i need spacers to run this?

Whoodoo

Apparently the FD wheels are 16x8 with a 50mm offset. I'm sure if you had ~10 or 15mm spacers on it might just barely clear. I'm not exactly sure on this because they are 16".

I have 17x8 with a 45mm offset and it barely rubbed the inside of my 245/45's on the seam of the trailing arm. Just a little grinding and I now clear by 5mm or so. check it out here

I'd suggest running a small spacer rather than acutally cut into the trailing arm. There's a lot of talk about the dangers of running spacers and as an engineer, I understand the possible failure points, but it really only comes into play with large spacers (3cm+).

If I were you, I'd get the wheels and make yourself a couple shims so you can figure out exactly how much of a spacer you need. Or, you could do some maths to figure it out: first, measure the angle of the trailing arm at the rim lip location, then by knowing that a 17 in rim with 45mm offset would need a 5mm spacer to clear, you could figure out what a 16 in rim with a 50mm offset would need.

JSchleim18

Here's the thing with these wheels.

16x8 +50 offset.

If you have camber plates, or some type of camber adjustment up front, get a 12-15mm spacer. You can tuck them in and the rears would sit pretty flush with a "+35-+38" offset.

I guess ideally, without camber adjustment, you could get a 10mm spacer for up front and something like a 15mm for the rears. Then everything should sit pretty close to flush.

Also, I think it's KICS Project who makes a sweet spacer but also cost extra. They have studs built in so these would be the strongest.

Furthermore, You could just go with a good set of regular spacers and run ARP or the like extended wheel studs. The problem with spacers is that it takes away from the amount of threads the lug nut makes contact with so if you get extended studs, you'll cancel that out.

Whoodoo

Its not as much an issue of getting them to tuck under the fenders because that can be easily handled with spacers and extended studs. The issue is that the inside lip will contact the trailing arm.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned