The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Something is broken...

manikbastrd

Hey guys, I was launching my car today (this is how all "I broke something" posts seem to start), and the clutch grabbed fine, felt strong etc. I spun a little and then felt a jolt and the car started pulling right. I got out of the throttle immediately and pulled into my buddy's driveway (I was on a private road). I jacked up each side and looked and didn't see any fluids or obviously blown out axles. I figured that I broke something and limped it home later. Under light acceleration it feels fine but when I give it any boost the RPMs climb but I don't get any speed, then it pulls to the right. It kinda feels like a blown clutch slipping but I seriously doubt that I fried my brand new Competition Stage 3 clutch with two launches. I plan to throw it on the lift in a day or two and see if either wheel spins independently of the other.

I figure it could be one of two things... 1) Dead front diff or 2) dead axle. I feel like a blown front diff would be much noisier and I don't hear anything in particular. I would think it could be the clutch, but the pulling to one side makes me think that is not the case.

Any ideas? Any tests I should do to check one thing versus another? I have never broken any drivetrain components before, so I don't know the symptoms of different problems. I am searching all the forums now, and hopefully will have some idea soon.

Thanks in advance for the help guys!

BENE38A

I blew my front diff, car shifted fine, under higher rpm's it seemed to want to weave (left right) and very twitchy. within 100m the front wheels were locking up and could not drive it

Wizardawd

Pull the axles and check. If the axles are fine, you can probably count on the tranny needing to be pulled for anything else broken.

Wiz

BluFalcon

Center diff?

I was racing my old Talon back in the day and somehow managed to break the center diff on a launch. I knew something was "wrong" because the car just didn't feel right driving back down the pit road. No internal parts looking to see daylight, no leaks or broken axles or anything glaringly obvious. It just didn't feel right. Decided to call it a night and drive it home.

Car drove home on the highway and under light acceleration, drove fine without any noise. Stepped on the gas to go WOT once, to test the tranny to see if it was actually hosed, and the car pitched itself in one direction and tried to become one with the guard rail. It was awhile back, so I'm not sure which direction it went...I just remember the "Oh crap!" moment and yanking the wheel in the opposite direction to keep it on the road.

Wizardawd

Broken center diff will basically cause the car to be RWD. It will also make noise/clunks when reversing and turning. And sometimes will straight up lock the car up.

Since he is pulling the axles and draining the fluid anyway, he may see the chunks come out. Either way, axles come out and then possibly tranny.

Wiz

manikbastrd

I didn't notice it acting like it was RWD only, and the only tight turns I took to get home were on gravel so it wasn't very chirpy even if it should have been.

manikbastrd

So...
I just got the car on jack stands. I tried turning the wheels independently, the rears first. The drivers side was more difficult to turn and the passenger side spun pretty freely. Then I started her up and put her in gear. At idle, all the wheels turn except the passenger rear. I crawled under and the passenger axle (on the differential end) seems to be popping in and out a little bit. Seems like I either broke the end off the rear axle, or I stripped the axle shaft. I am leaning toward the first because of how it was moving in and out a bit. I made a video (sorry for the crappy quality) and posted it here

Anyone care to weigh in on my situation?
Thanks in Advance!
-Manik

holeshotmoe

I broke the very tip off my right side rear axle once. It broke right where the keeper ring rides. Strange thing, it happened on my NA ggsx, which had no guts what so ever. Just driving home, tried to pull off from a stop sign and it wouldn't go unless i gave it lots of gas. So I limped it home, fished out the quarter sized piece that broke off and the retainer, and slapped another axle on. Oh, and it was a 3-bolt. Since your axle is slipping in/out I suspect at minimum you've lost the cir-clip that keeps the axle locked in, or possibly broken the end off.

Last edited:

manikbastrd

Wow! it is really difficult to find new axles...luckily the local Auto yard had one for 35$. Picking it up tomorrow yay!

Fiascoxl

Quoting holeshotmoe:
I broke the very tip off my right side rear axle once. It broke right where the keeper ring rides. Strange thing, it happened on my NA ggsx, which had no guts what so ever. Just driving home, tried to pull off from a stop sign and it wouldn't go unless i gave it lots of gas. So I limped it home, fished out the quarter sized piece that broke off and the retainer, and slapped another axle on. Oh, and it was a 3-bolt. Since your axle is slipping in/out I suspect at minimum you've lost the cir-clip that keeps the axle locked in, or possibly broken the end off.

Just went through this a week ago, had no clue why my car was fwd and nothing noticeable was broke. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

manikbastrd

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif Yeah it is an interesting experience. I will probably be picking up a 4 bolt swap soon though.

manikbastrd

Finally got the new axle in. Wasn't too much of a pain. Must have been a quarter cup of metal that came out of the housing. Cleaned it up real good and it looked good after that. Resealed and back on the road. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned