The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Shimming lifters

Spyder

Was there a thread in this section on shimming lifters?

I was wondering if I needed to do it to my engine as I have beehive springs and retainers installed.

BogusSVO

Why do you think you need to shim your HLA's?

Correct, the only time you really need to shim the HLA is with a reground cam, or when a shop really flubbed the valve job and set tip height waaaaaaay to short.

Beehive springs have no input to having to shim the HLA.

ktmrider

^^ Most likely they suggested you "shim" the aftermarket valve springs ( Install Height, Seat Pressure, Spring Bind at Max Lift ).

Spyder

Used beehives out of an evo. I had them measured at my machine shop and they were well with in spec. at installed height.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
As a side note but still on topic, what type of shim should be used?
I just sent a set of regrinds (HKS264 profiles) and would like to know what is best to recommend to him. Previously, it appeared that non-hardened washers were used, the type from the hardware store. Not sure about the properties of the coating but they looked like plain stamped steel. What height is recommended?

BogusSVO

The shims used under HLA for regrind cams is just a run of the mill #6 flat washer, appox .040 thick.

The shims used under valve springs are made by VSI (Valve Spring Insert) and come in .015, .030 and .060

bigblock4g63

I have used these in the past.

click

Maybe SVO can post what part numbers he uses. I will look for the numbers I used from GOODSON

BogusSVO

Bad thing about VSI is they package for builders, so each box is a lot of 100, (50 for the HP)

The Tomi are just expensive, really? $11 bux for a 8pk??

The VSI run about .75 per shim

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned