The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Shift Knobs

BpuVR4

how many turns is it taking you guys to take the knob off? Earlier today, I had a couple min to kill, so I tried to take it off to see how another knob looks on it, but had to retighten in cause i ran out of time and didnt get ot take it off.

BpuVR4

Quoting mitsuturbo:
What shift knob are you running? How low does it sit? Are you using a standard 10x1.25 threaded unit, or some "universal" one? Pictures would be nice.

I'm looking for a decent shift knob, but don't want to be bent over on the price, like the TWM knobs. The greddy "grex" knob sits VERY low, and has a nice feel, but i cannot find one for sale ANYWHERE with the proper thread pattern. This looks nice, but i dont know how low it actually sits on the shifter linkage, and it's > $100.

deserteagle_front.jpg

damn thats beautiful

mitsuturbo

Quoting DSMGVR4:

I have one of those GREX shifters...middle one. Came off a 2G. Not sure if I will keep it as I don't have any manual cars at the moment. How much is it worth???

About 60 bucks, i'd guess. i see them on ebay for 40-50+ shipping, most of the time, but they all have wrong thread pattern. Seems those that have them don't want to get rid of them.

mitsuturbo

I bought the JBR shift knob. 625 grams of powdercoated goodness. I took photos, and they're not that great, being as my car is unfinished, but here's how it looks in gears 1-5. I'd still like to get my hands on a Grex shift knob, though.

Here you can see just how short the 3k short shifter is. The difference between 1 and 3, or 2 and 4 is so little, it's really difficult to tell what gear you're in, if you're not actively shifting it.

thecman02

I don't have pics but I got one of the Ralliart Shifters. Nice Delrin, decently weighted, never gets hot. I'll take a picture of it a little later. click It's on the 7th page of the catalog.

unistylef

Ralliart knob is sweet. I'm currently sporting an aluminum Hurst pistol grip.

zzrblacklady

Hello mitsuturbo,
I wanted to ask what kind of short shifter used (GVR4, 1G?)
and how did you shorten the ways / arm?
From where is the shifter leather cover?
Greetings from Germany,
Holger

mitsuturbo

Quoting zzrblacklady:
Hello mitsuturbo,
I wanted to ask what kind of short shifter used (GVR4, 1G?)
and how did you shorten the ways / arm?
From where is the shifter leather cover?
Greetings from Germany,
Holger

Took a 3k shifter (both arms) and put them on a gvr4 shifter base. Shortened (cut and welded) the shaft above the fulcrum point. Removed the pin on the lower part of the arm, and welded in a smaller one from GVR4 shifter so it would fit the cable properly.

TomN

I have a evo x 6 speed shift knob.

image.php

bobdole

^^^Can you post a picture on your GVR4?

Last edited:

TomN

Quoting bobdole:
^^^Can you post a picture on your GVR4?

It's on my evo 1. It would look similar on a vr4 though.

In my galant i used a factory leather shift knob.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned