The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Replica Key Fob Interest Thread

I think that's a great idea although I'm not sure how it would work logistically. I guess a lot of it depends on the seller and how low he is willing to go. I offered him $100 for it with the understanding that after the mold is made I would offer to sell it back to him so he can keep the original key fob with the car.

Let's see what he says to my offer but if he isn't willing to go that low then maybe interested parties in this thread could send him the difference to get this moving.

This is probably as good a place as any to point out that my intention is simply to give the community a path to having these made for their cars. I am not going to be a middle-man in the transaction. I am going to send the company the original key fob, they'll make a mold, and then members here can contact them hopefully for the foreseeable future to have them made for their car.

Quoting Lancer99:
Just notice that he started this thread at 9:07am on 9/07/2010.

Check out my previous reply.

9:09am on 9/09.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

BrandonEchols

What about for 1992 cars?
Does anyone have a 1992 fob they'd be willing to loan out for the initial casting?
Because they are different.

BrandonEchols

^ Not really.
But I don't want to order fobs for both of my '92 cars and get ones that say 1991 on them, you know?

The plan was to get whatever key fob someone could sell/rent/lend me and have the company make two molds, one for the 91's and one for the 92's.

The mold is for everything other than the actual numbers in the center. Pebble texture, fonts, VR-4 logo.

Last edited by a moderator:

You can't use one mold for both years as the two plaques are different, 91 model year has 1991 on it and 92 model years say 1992 on them. Just FYI. Take a look at your badge the next time you are in your car.

Yeah, I realize that but if I get a 92 key fob then they can use the 1 from 1992 to make the ending 1 for 1991.

If I get a 1991 then they'll have to custom make the 2 from pictures.

Unless you want to lend us your 3/1000 key fob for the 1992 mold. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

turbowop

I'm willing to lend out 503/1000's fob if I can get a complimentary fob for 1051/2000. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Terry Posten

I would pay an extra $5 towards Wops fob if that means I get a 92 style fob. A few more of us 92ers and we would have it done.

BrandonEchols

Quoting Terry Posten:
I would pay an extra $5 towards Wops fob if that means I get a 92 style fob. A few more of us 92ers and we would have it done.

Also in for this.

Quoting turbowop:
I'm willing to lend out 503/1000's fob if I can get a complimentary fob for 1051/2000. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Awesome! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

I'm still waiting on the quote from the company with pricing but as soon as I hear I'll post it here.

steve

Glad to see this coming together after it was stalled for a bit there. Thanks for doing this.

I have updated the first post with the counts people posted in the thread. Please check to make sure you're in the right spot.

I called the company and my contact said she'd work to get a price back from the factory today.

I'd also be willing to help out the 92er's and members of this fine community with a five spot extra. Same great car, different tails and grille from my understanding. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

donkeylips

Correction: I'm actually 92, I just forgot to change my profile from 497/2000 to my new car, 108/1000.

I'm newly registered, and I don't own a VR4, but I have a 'connection' to all of the 1991 vehicles.

Has anyone tried contacting "Medalcraft" in Green Bay, WI to see if they have any spares/originals/molds? They are the ones who were originally contracted to provide the dash plaques & keyfobs to Mitsubishi.

Medalcraft subbed out the engraving to a company called "Green Bay Trophies", just a few miles away. I was employed there, and myself & a co-worker engraved every single one of the dash plaques & keyfobs for the 1991 year run. This was a long time ago, so I'm not entirely sure on the details, but I believe it was a Triple Line Roman font, don't remember what font size, but that would be pretty easy to measure from the originals. These were all cast medallions, what their composition was, I don't remember, however.

I don't have a lot more info other than this, but I can try to answer whatever questions I can...

Ray Nelson

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned