The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Replacing suspension without lowering car?

I know this is prob contrary to what most will do but I want to keep my car looking as stock as possible. I think the car will hold it's value best at this point now keeping it stock. It's always been stock it's whole life...why change it now. :p

Anyway, the suspension is shot on this car. Rolls like a boat on turns, and the slightest bumps send the wheels up into the fenders...Is there any suggestion on a cheap way to replace my suspension without lowering the height? I assume since the suspension is original, both the springs and shocks are needing to be changed. Buying OEM is just too expensive, and I don't want to do the KYB with H&R type combos that will lower the car. I have a steep driveway to pull into the garage as it is...and already rub the cat slightly.

Barnes

What's wrong with the original springs? Unless they are sagging or have a zillion miles on them they are probably fine. If you are really worried I'm sure you could find a low mileage set somewhere on the board.

Probably all you need to do is get new shocks. Plenty of folks use KYB GR-2's, but I get the impression they are kinda pitiful. I personally have a stock suspension on one Galant save for KYB AGX's set on the lowest setting. It rides pretty dang good in my opinion. Probably a bit more firm than stock, but if it is it is hardly noticeable. So far they have lasted over 10 years too.

Other suggestions would be to check your bushings to make sure they aren't completely rotted out and destroyed by now.

I see...I wasn't sure at what mileage springs would wear out too. The car has 115k miles on it now. If the springs are fine and like you say KYB AGX on lowest setting isn't too stiff, I wouldn't mind that route at all...except for a bit of a waste of money if you want it on the softest setting. :p Thanks for the advice.

GVR4_1057

I have stock springs on my dd galant with AGXs all around and it does quite well. Definitely not too stiff on full soft. I am running 2 up front and 4 in the back I think right now. I have run it full soft for long trips with the gf though.

belize1334

I might remind people that an independent test (which I can't seem to find right now) showed that the settings on AGXs had NO correlation to their stiffness. The dials do change the stiffness, but apparently going (for instance) from 3 to 4 is just as likely to make the shock softer instead of harder. Also, going from 3 to 4 and then back to 3 it is found that you don't end up where you started... that is the settings aren't repeatable. So, do yourself a favor and just get GR-2s or else pony up for a set of Konis or some Evo struts or perhaps some Bilsteins.

Barnes

Meh, my AGXs work properly. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

H05TYL

Quoting derekmw:
I know this is prob contrary to what most will do but I want to keep my car looking as stock as possible. I think the car will hold it's value best at this point now keeping it stock. It's always been stock it's whole life...why change it now. :p

tbh the ~30mm drop most of the 'lowering' springs give is barely noticeable, If it were me I'd just throw a set of decent quality after market springs in - if you're really worried about resale value (which I can't see being an issue for a few more years yet) then tidy the stock springs up, store them somewhere dry and swap them back in if/when you decide to sell.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned