The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Remove rotors frozen to the hub, dust shields....

blacksheep

My front rotors will not come off. They are on there good. I tried a rubber mallet and even a BFH. I will be replacing them as they were close to cashed. I went to try the bolt method, but looks like there are broken bolts in the threads. Any other ways to get it off? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Also - Do I need to buy OEM dust shields? I checked at rockauto and could not find it. Mine are rusted and the ABS bolts broke or tore apart with a piece of shield attached when I went to take it off.

Thanks!

MellowVR4

Keep beating the sh*t out of it, the disc will probably crack but it will come off. Just think about the rust and go HULK on that sh*t lol

blacksheep

LOL, I may put lugs on it, to prevent thread damage. I might put in the vice for better grip...

I cannot believe I have to buy parts to install just to sell it... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

LordAthey

Well when I was changing mine I had to heat them up to get them off since they were so rusted. I heated them while my brother hit them with a 15lb sledge hammer for 20 minutes. Not trying to discourage you, but mine was on there bad /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

MellowVR4

Quoting blacksheep:
LOL, I may put lugs on it, to prevent thread damage. I might put in the vice for better grip...

I cannot believe I have to buy parts to install just to sell it... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

smack it from the back of the disc.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Quoting blacksheep:
Also - Do I need to buy OEM dust shields? I checked at rockauto and could not find it. Mine are rusted and the ABS bolts broke or tore apart with a piece of shield attached when I went to take it off.

Thanks!

They are still available, but remember you have to remove the hubs and bearings to replace them. The ABS sensor bracket mounts to the khuckle, so you don't need the shield to hold that.

KiNgMaRtY

Try this. Room can be limited so you can also get thick wooden pole of some sort to hammer that.
The bolt usually always works for me. You could try getting it out and getting another bolt to retry. You could gt some PB blaster in the hole to help it a bit.

blacksheep

Quoting iceman69510:
Quoting blacksheep:

Thanks!

They are still available, but remember you have to remove the hubs and bearings to replace them. The ABS sensor bracket mounts to the khuckle, so you don't need the shield to hold that.

Icee - its the brackets on the cable. Its mounted behind strut along with brake line, then in front of strut with a nut maybe and then to the back of the dust shield. Umm, no way I am pressing bearing out for this. My sensors came out real easy which surprised me!

G

Staff member
Quoting MellowVR4:
Keep beating the sh*t out of it, the disc will probably crack but it will come off. Just think about the rust and go HULK on that sh*t lol

This will more than likely cause your bearings to crap out on you.

blacksheep

Well, MellowVR4 wins the cookie - As he said, "hit it from the back" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif 3 minutes of glorious banging and it came! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

blacksheep

Quoting G:
Quoting MellowVR4:

This will more than likely cause your bearings to crap out on you.

Well, G - I hope not. It took only a few hits of the rotor.

G

Staff member
Well you'll know if your bearings start making noise soon after you start driving it again.

MellowVR4

Youll be fine /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Spyder

I had the same issue. Called Terry and he had an awesome idea that doesn't involve beating the ever loving crap out of it. You don't want to do that as you can seriously mess up the bearings as afore mentioned.

Get some hardened bolts that will fit through the brake caliper mounting bracket. Make sure it is long enough to go past where the rotor is. Use the bolt and nut in such a way that when you tighten the nut, it will exert force on the rotor. Loosen the bolt, spin the rotor a little and repeat. Do this until the rotor pops off.

I did the same thing and it worked like a dream.

RayH

I remember seeing that technique somewhere on these forums before. I even used it to pull the wheel bearings and hub out of a Murano with the castle nut removed but rotor still attached without having to use a puller.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned