The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Remove Rear Window Glass

badams

The current glass in my car has no working defrost lines because one of previous owners attempted to cut the window tint and destroyed them. I have another piece of glass from a chopped car and want to switch them out. I spoke with a local glass company and they charge $125 to remove the good glass from the shell but warned me that if THEY break it I would be responsible. I don't really want to pay for them to by chance break the glass so thought that I could try removing it for free. Anyone have any suggestions for removing this glass, strategies, tips or tools I can/should use?

Good Glass
20140918_224958.jpg

G

Staff member
Piano wire. Done.

GVR41908

I paid a company to pull and remove my rear glass because I know how hard it is to find and did't want to risk it breaking. It cost $75 for removal and installation. It took him 30 minutes start to finish. It looked pretty easy compared to most glass I've seen removed. I would probably attempt it myself if it had to be done again.

Last edited:

prove_it

Practice on your bad glass first.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
G never elaborates, but basically you have to cut the hardened urethane rubber to get it out. The piano wire idea is the use the wire as a saw and move it back and forth to saw through the urethane. There are also special oscillating cutting tools that do this, but probably too pricy for one use.

I agree with prove it; cut the bad one out first then do the good one after learning what not to do.

prove_it

I think the hardest part is lifting it out and not dropping it or scratching the body. Glass is not light

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
You can get suction cup lifts like the glass guys use. I think I saw them at Uhaul once.

89Mirageman

I went through the same thing on a civic hatch years ago when I bought one with a busted side glass. They know what they're doing and only tell you that to cover themselves. Me personally, I'd just let a pro do it. They do this for a living.

G

Staff member
Quoting G:
Piano wire. Done.

Yes from experience, i'm sure their are write ups or videos online how to do it with piano wire.

prove_it

Just remember to wear good gloves. I shutter at the thought of my hand slipping while holding piano wire tight.

G

Staff member
I would wrap the piano wire around a screw driver on both ends and have someone on the inside of the vehicle pulling to create the sawing action.

badams

Thanks for the help everyone, I managed to get it out without breaking it.

20140919_224737.jpg

Jepherz told me I could check the resistance...... I'm not sure if I did it right but it was .2 on one side and .8 on the other, that in the right neighborhood?

jepherz

Staff member
Awesome! I wish I had tried that years ago... measure resistance (ohms) between the sides. By having low resistance, that means the wires are indeed intact and that current will flow through them when you apply 12 volts to one side and ground to the other. If you measure the same resistance on the bad window, it will hopefully show much higher ohms meaning the wires are cut and current won't pass through.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Another thing you can do to test a rear defroster is to hook up a battery charger to the terminals. After a few minutes, they will heat up you can verify they work properly.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned