The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Rear wheel bearing assembly

beaner

I'm putting together my 4 bolt 5 lug rear trailing arms. Do these look like they need to be pressed more? This is as far as I could muscle them with my vice before it broke. I have access to a press now, but I'm just blindly pumping that and don't want to ruin my new stuff by over doing it. They look like they could go 1 or 2mm more, but I honestly have no idea. My Chiltons and Mitsu service manual do not cover this at all and I can't find squat online about putting this stuff together. Maybe I'm just thinking about it too much or something.

sAaZ5.jpg

1S4q1.jpg

Also, what does the 27mm nut on the companion flange get torqued to?

Thanks.

Romanova

I wanna' say I torqued mine to like 90 ft lbs... I don't remember what the manual said...

beaner

I pulled them apart and reassembled with the press. I had them all the way together. I actually redid them a couple times. Getting that outer bearing pressed on the shaft juuust right is an important detail for everything to free spin when assembled. Wasn't sure about the companion nut, so I put a little locktite on and just tightened them by feel.

toybreaker

iconoclast
Quoting Beaner:
Ok, so it goes more then? I don't want to over torque that nut.

Quoting factory torque specs:

Rear Axle Shaft Installation Nut 116-159 ft.lb
Front Wheel Bearing Nut 144-188 ft.lb

Middle/high side of that torque range has served me well. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Best way to tighten this is to have someone stand on the brake pedal to keep things from rotating, snug it up with a ratchet, spin the flange a few times and then give it the final torque with a quality torque wrench ... just sneak up on your chosen torque value, spin the flange a few times, and then recheck it.

Should be golden. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

There is a spec for the amount of force to rotate the completed assembly, and it's six inch pounds.

You can use a fish scale and do some math, an inchy pound torque wrench, or because the seals skew the results/add drag anyway, just spin it ten turns smooth and even like with a quarter inch stubby ratchet, and if it turns fairly easily and smoothly, you;re goood to go. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Whatever you do, do not use an impact gun on this application!

You'll brinnell the races, significantly shortening the service life of the bearing assemblies.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts