The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Racing Brake Duct Pics

I just used a piece of 3" hose to connect to the duct and then zip tied the other hoses together and placed them inside the 3" hose and zipties/duct taped them in. Holds pretty snug and tests with a high flow fan and some smoke showed good flow.

Routing the hoses is trial and error... Since my car never sees the streets I cut anything that got in the way off /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Your idea seems like a good one...cutting up the dust shield should work good. I wish I had something left to work with...I'll have to fab something this off season.

CP

This all arrived today. 22ft of 1.5" 600* hose and four aluminum brackets. I'm not quite sure how I'm going to attach or route it yet, but the wheels will be off for a few nights this week /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CP

I've decided to get another set of dust shields and rivet those aluminum hose ends to them. I removed/cut away all the ABS sensor stuff and that left a great hole/location to push cool air towards the hub area. Using lots of zipties and duct tape for this project /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

cheekychimp

CP where do the hose and end pieces come from, they look perfect for routing from the front JDM bumper vents !!!

CP

Hoses are from Racer Parts Wholesale, and the caps from Aircraft Spruce. I'm running two hoses back from each opening in my JDM bumper. I can't get to it until Saturday though. Then a 7 hour, 390 mile drive to Watkins Glen on Sunday. So when I get back, I'll write a review and take some pictures.

when i would track my car i always made makeshift ducks from that aluminum flex pipe for clothes dryers. but the galant is a PAIN to find a sutible way to rout the ducts. im interested to see how yours turns out CP.

CP

Well, I gave up after the hoses were routed as best I could squeeze them in the wheel wells. They rubbed at full steering lock. I'm going to take another whack at it in the spring. I've since removed both splash shields. Driving home yesterday in a monsoon I had no ill effects from not having them. So the new ones are not going back on at this point.

A guy in the local DSM club has the setup I was shooting for, with the hose attached to the shield, though now I'm thinking that it may be a good idea to ditch the shields altogether since they just prevent air from getting to the hot rotor.

2002_09_14_16_07_34.jpg

Here's his directory with more pictures. Notice the ghetto funnel air inlets. They work great according to him. Unfortunately that car bit the dust at Watkins Glen yesterday after an "incident."

Last edited:

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Some racer friends and I discussed this a few years back and decided we didn't want only one side of the rotor being cooled as would result from the setup in the picture above. I don't have any ducting on my current race car, but a friend made ducts to his brakes that aimed at the front edge of the rotor not the side. These are on track-only cars though, so most of us have all shielding removed.

CP

Good point. I was thinking that the hose should point as much towards the center of the rotor as possible. That way air can get into the rotor; into the fins and cool from the inside out.

I know mine have been heated up quite a bit at the few track events I've done this summer, as there are visible cracks on the outside face of the Brembo units I've got. But this is normal; all the E30 M3s I've seen have these surface cracks too.

CP

Re-reading your post, I'm not sure that pointing the hose at the outside edge of the rotor is benificial, and may hurt cooling actually. As a rotor spins, centrifugal force should move air OUT towards the edge of the rotor. All directionally vaned rotors are designed to pull air from the hub and disperse it to the outside edge, cooling the rotor in the process. If I'm assessing this correctly, wouldn't the setup you mentioned push the hot air that's trying to escape back into the rotor?

My rotors aren't directionally vaned, but rather have straight passages through the rotor. I'm hoping to step up to the Stoptech package if I can afford it next year, and then run the stock brake package in the winter with my 15" steelies and snows.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned