The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Pulling less vacuum than normal. Is it normal or ok? Help please.

birdman24

Background info: On wednesday a buddy helped me install my Innovate wideband well neither of us had the tools to install the bung and sensor in the dp so he suggested we installed it in the o2 housing because he knows that it works from past experiences. My friend has built 3 dsm's so instead of being anal and attempting to put the sensor in my dp which would have probably lead to myself finding a way to accidentally fubar my dp. So we did it his way, while trying to get my stock o2 sensor out we noticed that not only was it secured in the housing very tight but my turbo bolts were only finger tight which caused everything to flex. After the bolts got tightened the sensor cam out with ease. after we finished the install I noticed spool up was much faster and I still only hit 10psi of boost so everything was normal. The next day while on my way back home as I got on the highway I floored it in 2nd. Everything was normal until I looked over and saw that not only was i running extremely rich (9.8) I was ut to hit 30 psi of boost before i could even back off the pedal I hit 28 psi and fuel cut (which hurt pretty bad). I thought I had an mbc but the previous owner threw it away before I bought the car so i was running off wastegate pressure which obviously was over ran. So over the last couple of days I have been talking to all of my buddies and I talked to a couple guys at Buscher Racing (45 mins away from me) while I was there buying a mbc and now I am here. From talking to all the people mentioned above. I've gathered that I could have a boost leak, vacuum line with a tear or hole in it or it has just come off, or i blew my head gasket but the guys at Buscher said that head gaskets dont just blow instantly like that. I have checked all piping except the stock intercooler piping inside the bumper and I checked all of my vacuum lines the only thing i found was a hole on a rubber piece attached to the the side of my intake. Picture of intake, Car information, and question below.

Intake: could this be my problem?

Car information:
Engine- tired motor low compression on cyl #1, mainly stock just upgraded exhaust mani, evo 3 16g, 3in cat-less exhaust, 550 injectors
Ecu- chipped with unknown chip ( 550's, non adjustable 5,000 rpm 2step, 8,000 rev limit, and stock boost is now knock sensor. Safc

Question:
As of the past two days 1471 has been pulling only 15in of vac while idling and 20in while in gear with the throttle closed. I've only own 1471 for just a little bit over a month and a half, but in that time I have only seen my car pull 20in of vac at all times if the throttle is closed. What could be causing this? At this point I am completely clueless I dont know what else the problem could be.

Thank you,
Terence

P.s. Sorry for the book above, I just wanted to make sure everything was covered so that I can be helped

AnotherNewb

If you haven't done it yet, Boost Leak Test. But loss of vacuum would be on the intakes side of the TB.

To me it really sounds like you have a bad section of vacuum hose. If any of your vacuum lines look questionable, replace them ALL. And I see from your pic of the torn one, you do.

If that line thats before the turbo goes to the wastegate then thats your problem. Hole in the line aside, that will never see boost.
Replace all your vacuum hoses.

birdman24

Ok I'll look into replacing those lines and I'll take a closer look at the lines on the intake

I want to do a boost leak test but I dont have the special coupler nor do I have a working air compressor. I have two here at home and some how no one in my family knows why it is they both just happen to stop working.

Thank you,
Terence

AnotherNewb

The coupler is easy to make, left over silicone couplers some plumbing stuff, and an airvalve. If you have many leaks and a small compressor you can cap the pipe off that goes to the TB and test from the turbo to that pipe, then just hook it straight to the IM and test it. Thats how I do it with a pancake compressor.

birdman24

TrendSetter, I'm not sure I understand what you mean. The hose that is pictured, that my thumb is holding straight is nothing but a hose with a screw in it that someone put on the car to close the small port on the intake

Ok AnotherNewb, I'll see what I can fab up this week while I'm at college since I'm sure someone I know there has an air compressor.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned