The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Project battery and alt rewire completed

Thought I'd share my latest project and maybe get some additional insight from some of the electrical experts here.

I had been having some low voltage issues, especially at higher RPMs. I was talking to one of the guys I work with (I work in a maintenance shop for the county) and he recommended redoing my battery relocation wires, redoing any existing grounds, and adding one or two more grounds. I get state bid pricing on almost anything shop related so I used #1 welding cable for my + cable from the batt to the engine bay and #2 for the grounds. I also ditched the two factory alt power wires in favor of a single #2 cable.

I also ran a ground from the battery to the engine block. I've heard conflicting info on this. Some say it's a good idea and some say it's unnecessary and wasteful. I had almost 20 feet of cable left, so I figured what the hell, might as well run another cable to the engine bay.

Results: Noticeable immediately. The starter sounds brand new. The engine turns over almost immediately. DSMlink reports 14.4 volts during the day with no lights or fans on. Doesn't matter if it's hot or cold, it stays at 14.4. Redline I see 13.8-14 volts. With a lot of electrical load (both fans on high, high beams, rear defroster, blower on high) it will drop into the mid-low 13s at idle.

Driveability is greatly improved. The engine idles and revs smoother. Everything just feels sooooo much better.

I still need to install a breaker by the battery. That will happen shortly.

If there's anything that could be added or done differently let me know.

Pics:

#1 welding cable

All done

Covered up

New alternator wire

New ground

Fixed old grounds

Andy_S

I think the cable to the block is a good idea. I have noticed several cars with ground wires daisy chained all over the engine bay. They claim smoother running and considering your results, I think they are right. Thanks for sharing.

curtis

Yep same results on my end and every suv my wife has ever had I've seen 1.5 to 3 mpg better on the interstate from multiple grounds.

For you cheap skates go to the junkyard and get factory alt to battery wires as many as you can get. Takes time to cut them out of the harnesses but the guys at the yard probably want even charge you. You can hook two at the battery and run forward till your out then attach to the frame and connect another on there and keep going forward.

Brandon one other thing run an extra or a larger cable from the starter to battery if you didn't.

Last edited:

prove_it

I've always added grounds on all my vehicles. I've heard the conflicting stories too, but in my experience it's always helped.

Yeah, I'm glad I ran the extra cable. I'm no electrical expert, but from what I've read the more grounds the better.

Curtis, no I haven't done the starter wire. That will give me something to do with the remaining cable I have.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned