The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Power steering fluid for 1991 model

GTX

Guys, the manual says I need to use automatic transaxle DEXTRON II for power steering. Are there any implications if I use a contemporary standard power steering fluid, Champion or Lucas. All 3 have different wiscosity.

Thanks!

rdomeck

ATF and power steering fluid have different viscosity and properties. If it calls for Dextron II. I would feel ok using Dextron III.

GTX

exactly! that's why I'm puzzled /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif What are you guys using in VR4s?

JNR

Yeah, don't use PS fluid if it calls out ATF...you won't find Dexron II (new), but some places have Dexron III, although it's getting hard to find. Dexron VI is supposed to be a replacement and *should* be alright in a PS system. I say *should* as while it's OK in an automatic transmission to use VI instead of III, it is not OK to use VI instead of III in the older T-56 manual 6-speeds that call out III; forgot the specifics, but something inside the trans isn't compatible. Sometime around 2007 they changed that. However, as far as I know you'll be alright to use VI in the PS system. Reason I know this is my GTO required Dexron III, but people use VI without issues.

But...I would just use Mobil 1 ATF (synthetic) and what I'm replacing mine with as soon as I address some sort of air leak that is causing my pump to whine bad...I've bled and vacuum bled and I get the air out, only for it to return...no fluid leaks anywhere, so suspecting the return side rubber hoses are drawing in air. Good excuse to replace all those with AN anyhow /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned