The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Post Leak Down Test Questions

I am burning some mad oil, coolant, or a mixture of both. Did a leakdown test and here are the results. Tested each cylinder 3 times:

cylinder 1 2 3 4

test1 12 30 10 13
test2 10 27 12 15
test3 11 31 12 12

Cylinder 2 is obviously the problem here, but im trying to narrow down why. It sounds like the air is leaking back out the spark plug hole for cylinder 2 while I am testing that cylinder.... It was sort of hard to hear, and I did have both neighboring plugs out so it could have been leaking out of those cylinders.

What do you guys think it is? Head Gasket?

SouthCaliVR4

unless the gauge had a bad seal on number two then you where hearing the air being pumped in. try using a bit of vac hose as a stethoscope. listen at the oil fill for rings, intake & exhaust for valves. for a head gasket best method is the chem test kit, I use mr gaske,t unless only blown between cyl's in which case would be coming from #1 or #3 & either cyl would have a corresponding low reading in that event.

I took the tester out and re-installed it between each test cause I thought it just wasnt sealing as well, but the same thing happened every time. Didnt sound like it was coming out of the dip stick, exhaust, or intake, Im pretty sure of that. Both neighboring cylinders give good readings too..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif Maybe ill try again tonight and see if I can get a different result.

never heard of the chem test...... care to elaborate?

SouthCaliVR4

It tests for the presence of hydrocarbons in the cooling system. if the head gasket is blown or a crack in the head/block the chem changes color. quick for identifying combustion leaks into the cooling system or eliminating them as a well.

I guess the last one I got was napa brand part number bk 700-1006 "combustion leak block tester" shop pay's for this kind o stuff so I don't know what the price was.

Re hooked up the tester to cylinder 2 again today. Left the plugs in the neighboring cylinders so i could listen better. Still gave me about the same reading, but this time I was able to pip-point the sound to the dip stick tube. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Doesnt look like a good situation.

Here is a picture of the plug from cylinder 2.

SouthCaliVR4

Sorry to hear but it gives you a good excuse to upgrade!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

True, very true. And to get advice on what I will be doing while the motor is out I am attempting to merge this thread with another one where I am discussing motor building options so click if interested.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned