The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

piston oil drain holes

paul j

After I cleaned my pistons, 63dT, I found the 3rd land oil holes were caked and baked. I had to drill them out. Do the two holes above the pin have a vertical channel to drain down to the pin? Of course all the others just drain back to pan. I think there must be a drain or the oil would not be circulated out of the piston land. I do not want to remove rods if there is no drain hole.

BogusSVO

Yes there is an intersecting galley to feed the wrist pin from the oil scraper ring land, on on each side of the piston.

There is also one at the bottom of the wrist pin boss that is oiled from the squirters/splash oil.

You can try to dissolve, drill, dig out the gunk from the oil feed galley, but making the turn down to the wrist pin will be an issue.

Now the bad news is, trying to remove the pistons will not be simple.

In most cases the piston can and will deform in shape, crack or just shatter when pressed off the rod.

The wrist pin bore that is supported can end up "pinched" and not allow the wrist pin to move freely, it can be honed to fix this.

Some shops do have a special "piston press kit" that can minimize potential to the piston, but the risk is still there.

I am not saying that it can not be done, just the risk of failure is high.
click

Personally, clean what you have the best you can, or just buy a new set of pistons and have them hung on the rods.

Odds are right now the used pistons you have are damaged in some way, shape or form, from scuffing on the skirt to be collapsed.

Have the pistons been mic'ed for size? Has the block been mic'ed for wear and taper?

With the cost of new NPR 63DT pistons and ring kits, and having the pistons hung and the block bored over size, would cost $200-$300 as a guess, based off prices in my area, I am sure they will vary in yours.

paul j

A machine shop yesterday told me not to remove the rods as they looked good and the breakage danger was not worth the risk, as you stated. They said use them and do not worry about that one galley being blocked. With the oil sprayer and the other piston holes open it should not be a problem. Thanks again bogus.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned