The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

full float pin oiling ?

tektic

If eagle rods don't have an oil port that goes all the way to the pin how is the pin lubricated? I know there are oiling holes in the piston ring lands and near the outside of the pin but that's enough too keep this thingy from drying out? So the only oil it sees is splashed up from the back end of the crank shaft , or from oil squirters if so equipped?

jeverts

If you think about it the wrist pin side doesn't really move all that much compared to a rod bearing or main. With the wrist pin being polished and the ampco or bronze bearing that is on the rod just having the oil hit the wrist pin keeps it lubed enough. Oil squirters are a must though on higher hps.

I need to proof read my sh*t lol.

Last edited:

tektic

So guys that say they use nt blocks only with forged internals must have oiled wrist pins?

I'm trying to figure out a build for a wideblock 2.0l. Its not going to have squirters and I thought the wrist pin may suffer with the passageless eagles I have.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Do the eagle rods have an oiler in the big end?

The squirters in the turbo are for cooling and wall lubrication. Stock pistons are pressed pins so no need for lubrication there.

EMX5636

Quoting jeverts:
Oil squirters are a must though on higher hps.

That is actually not true. Most high HP builds actually delete them because of potential oil pressure loss if one gets damaged. Also, most aftermarket forged pistons, don't grow as much as stock ones with heat, so it's a bit less important to cool them with oil from the underside of the crown/skirt. I've been running an NT block since I swapped back to a 2.0L with absolutely zero ill effects.

tektic

So would it be abusrd to consider a floating pin npr turbo piston in my nt rwd wide block? Stock compression on eagle rods stock crank.

It's going to be a 16g or bastard 20g turbo build.

EDIT: Never Mind. I have 21mm rods and they only make these with 22mm pins.

Last edited:

mitsuturbo

So just get the eagles made for a 6 bolt crank with a 22mm pin. That's what i'm running in my 2.3L stroker with Mahle Evo stroker pistons. Nice thing about the pistons i got is that the pin offset is ZERO, so the pistons can be flipped around so the valve reliefs match with no ill effect. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts