The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Overheating and no heat

OldHairyBastard

^I Would pull it off but if you think you got most of the pieces out and everything starts to flow good then you might be O.K. You will never know unless you take it all of the way off and do a really good clean out of everything. It's really up to you. You might get lucky.

Last edited:

slowpoke

Well I'm hoping for luck, been a nightmare so far.

slowpoke

Car is fixed and running great. Ended up being the waterpump had no blades on it due to the stop leak eating them away. Replaced waterpump and headgasket. Found the balance shaft belt broken inside the timing cover and my timing was off 2 teeth.

rdomeck

Wow....Sounds you got really lucky!

slowpoke

Very lucky I couldn't believe it when I pulled the timing cover off. Car runs so good now its ridiculous 150psi compression across the board very happy.

G

Staff member
Yikes, I should have posted this earlier. Page 12. click Also I would flush and replace the coolant again in a few thousand miles, just to be safe.

Last edited:

slowpoke

Yea I'm going to flush the system again for sure. I've got a few other things to fix in the next month also including welding in a new floor, fixing a gas leak and replacing the clutch. But at least this is figured out. It was only about 29 degrees today it was nice having heat.

OldHairyBastard

Good to know you replaced the head gasket too. Most of the pieces get stuck in the head so taking it off and cleaning it out was the right thing to do. I still find it weird that the fins just come off but I've seen it before and if you have done everything else like you did I was pretty sure it was the water pump. Nice to have heat again now that it is cold here for sure.

slowpoke

Yes definently enjoying the heat again. Once I seen the fins missing I wasn't going to half ass it. Do it right or not at all. Just have to do the clutch and weld the New floors in and she's good to go.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned