The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

open the flood gate to my bank account. engine, trans transfer rebuild is on

kooter

have just pulled the engine and the trans out of #148. 91 gvr4.

basically my goal is to bring the car to as near perfect shape as I can.

the car is located in schaumburg, illinois.

looking for any word on a place to have the trans and tranfer and rear diff rebuilt?
Also turbo rebuild.

planning on doing some powder coating, I want to get the block powder coated.
already have plan's to send it to the machine shop we use for hot tanking and fresh clean.

So my first question as I have seen this side and that side all over the net.
is it good bad or ugly to get the block PC'd.

Second question being anyone know anywere that does good work. if it is acceptable a thing to do.

also have plans to redo engine bay. not sure how or when , but this is the summer project.
totally first time diving in with both feet.

any one around schaumburg that is in the know about ripping these cars to pieces(the easy Part) and then slapping them all back together(the not so easy part) that might be interested hangin out and lending a hand or two. feel free to pm me.
not sure when this project is getting into full swing. maybe another week or two. but it is gonna be some fun.

Just to put it out there yes, I am a noob, I am out of my mind, and I have no idea what I am doing or getting myself into.

but I love to have me a good time.

Last edited:

rdomeck

The problem with powder coating the block is that in order for the powder to stick it will have to be sand blasted....It only takes a grain or two of sand to destroy a new engine! Mask it off well after getting it back from the machine shop and paint it! I run a fabrication shop and I have done many restorations and I do not like powder coating as it leaves sand in places you don't want it and it is thicker than paint so it chips off easily. I have good luck with using an automotive grade paint. I have even been known to put base/clear on an engine to make it the color I want...

rgeier11

What kind of tools do you have at your disposal? Is the car at a friend's house? What is the story behind this vehicle? Why does it need an engine?

Give me a holler, I'm 5mins away from you.

kooter

I work at a hyundai dealership in schaumburg, I have a shop full of tech's and all their tool's at my disposal.
Other then an occasial stutter around 4500 rpm and what I thought was pretty poor mpg there is no issue's with the car or the engine.
It has now 101000 miles on it.

The story behind this car is. I have wanted one for as long as I can remember. I am 34 years old.
my plan's are to do everything I can to make this car as brand new as can be.
The reason for taking the engine out, is so I can have it tore down and cleaned by opel engineering. This is a machine shop that we use for head work, I also used them while at bmw.
As far as I am concerned this is a very rare and unique car that I plan to have for a very long time. I would like to get just about everything I can relpaced, powder coated(mostly for corosion protection). While the engine is out the engine bay is going to be cleaned and painted. Cruise/abs is going to be removed. Was going to remove a/c also but with it at 101 heat index today I will be keeping it, Will be my summer car stashed away for winter. Car is originally from texas, I bought it in georgia. very very very clean. No leaks other then v/c gasket.

So I am getting a little retarded with my plans to rebuild without upgrades. but whatever right it is my car I can do whatever I want. lol that was a joke not a snarky comment.

Still having trouble confirming that powder coating the engine is safe to do. So that will be decided on when and if I find a place locally that will actually do it.(didn't realize it would be so hard to find)
Plan to have tran's rebuilt, heard evo 5th gear can be swapped for better top end fuel economy. I like that.
diff and transfer also to be rebuilt I would powder coat them as well if I can.

well you get the point .
next year the car will get painted, the year after or so will begin working on interior, (suede pillar's headliner and figure out how to wire in a hyundai rearview (it's black not grey) with homelink(garage door opener)

to end this off
I have already spend about 3 thousand on new parts from mitsu. Local dealer 3 block's away getting a price.

so far wires, plugs, coil, transformer, fan motor, blade, shroud, motor mounts all but one. pulley's, belt's, hose's, gasket set, every gasket, almost every nut, bolt,screw, washer, holder. Basically I downloaded caps, pick a page and fax over ever number there is. Order what is not obsolete.

3 to 4 years I will be all done car will be mint I will be happy.

so much more I could say so little time to say it.

rgeier11

If you're at the Hyundai dealership on Golf Road, that is really close. I know almost everyone at Schaumburg Mitsu and get all parts @ cost as well. Since you aren't some 16 year old, I'll give you a hand if you need it. I have been around DSMs/Galants for around 6 years. I can help with just about anything as far as reassembly goes. Send me a pm of your phone number and I'll text/call you.

Lightning1

I was poking around here, I didn't realize there were so many chicago vr-4s out here. I am in Downers Grove right off the 355. I have 357/2000 and 14/1000. I am currently rebuilding the engine and am building 14 from the ground up. If you need anything, let me know, as 357 will be being parted out due to frame rot and hail damage (14 was bought as a roller)

Good luck with your build and I am sure I will see you around

Jeff

PolskiVR4

Lightning1 you may be the closest VR4 to me. Im in Lemont right off of 355.

I'm personally against powder coating any part of a motor. I used to work at a powder coating shop. It is a very difficult process to keep any particle out while sand blasting. not to mention any powder inside the block will also be catastophic. (everyone has an opinion but i've seen this one go bad) of course there are shops that i'm sure can pull it off, but you'll pay a three legged buffalo for it done right.

As far as the rebuild good luck. It's a long process, but a great one if brought to fruition. Mark everything you remove, leave bolts in the holes you pulled them from, label every last wire religously. Use a manual for any need torque specs. I believe if pull apart is done right it can be more frustrating than instal.

all the best!!!

Damn why does it seem like the midwest and california guys are always willing to go above and beyond to
give a hand to each other to get their cars running? Wish I could I get some of that camaraderie around here
on the east coast wtf east coast lets do this. Best of luck on the rebuild bro....

kooter

well it looks like I am having no luck finding anyone local that does powder coating. let alone to do an engine block. So might just be painting it. Not giving up just yet.

rgeier11

Do not waste your time and energy trying to powdercoat an engine block. There are a variety of paints specifically for engine blocks to make it any color your heart desires.

My main concern: No one ever sees the actual engine block. Just paint it black and add some clear.

kooter

I am not interested in the color or anyone seeing it. As I am the durability and corrosian protection.

rgeier11

You don't need corrosion protection. After machining, tape up all mating surfaces and openings if you aren't going to immediately start assembly.

Specter

I live around 5 miles away from the coast line, its very humid here, cars get rust very fast if not taken care of, but at least i have not seen any rusted engine blocks, if our engine blocks can last two decades without rust, i am sure they can do a couple more. If you feel good to paint it then go ahead, but you do not need it.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned