The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

O-Ringed block question.

Quote:
i've seen more problems with stainless o-rings than copper. the stainless doesn't make as good of a seal as copper, although copper cannot be re used. i have also seen cars run 50+ psi, 700+whp with no o-ring at all, so that is a bunch of b.s as well.

if you know anyone running over 50+psi and only making 700+h.p. they need to get a more efficient turbo or get a better tune. if you have seen any problems with people blowing hg's the way i said to do it, then someone screwed up somewhere. please go back and read my post before before you start to talk down to me. The only issues we have had is the head lifting under the exhaust port, so we mill it out and weld it up solid. other then that, that is what we have in the world's fastest evo, and it seems to working well for us.

Quote:
At what power/boost levels do people feel necessary to O-ring the block? Seems anyone making 400-600hp who blows a headgasket automatically assumes they need an 0-ringed block when cars who have made over 40psi/700hp with regular arp's(non l19) and oem mitsu mls head gasket with non O-ringed block have had no problems...

O-ringing the block just seems like the latest fad and a lot of times a band aid to the real situation. I would think if you are popping head gaskets under 500-550whp with arp/oem mls then the problem is either in the mating surfaces/machining, assembly or tune.

I would shy away from copper O-rings as already suggested previously.

i agree with you digit, i start to recommend it when you start to see 600-700 whp.

Quote:
Do you buy the o-rings or make your own? If you make your own, where do you get the copper wire? And what size, .040?

Did you ever find the wire that will work for you? Sorry this thread has gotten so out of hand.

BadVr4

Quote:
Quote:
i've seen more problems with stainless o-rings than copper. the stainless doesn't make as good of a seal as copper, although copper cannot be re used. i have also seen cars run 50+ psi, 700+whp with no o-ring at all, so that is a bunch of b.s as well.

if you know anyone running over 50+psi and only making 700+h.p. they need to get a more efficient turbo or get a better tune. if you have seen any problems with people blowing hg's the way i said to do it, then someone screwed up somewhere. please go back and read my post before before you start to talk down to me. The only issues we have had is the head lifting under the exhaust port, so we mill it out and weld it up solid. other then that, that is what we have in the world's fastest evo, and it seems to working well for us.

maybe you need to re read my posts as well. Im not saying everybody i know runs 50psi and makes 700 whp, that is just an example that o-rings are not always needed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Rausch

Quote:

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Reading, again....what did I miss? What is a bunch of BS? Enlighten us more about the finer points of your statements here please. I don't see a point in there over and above the traditional "I know someone/I've seen...." stuff.

If we're missing something here, fill us in.

JNR

Diesel, FTW! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif (aren't those guys running 60+ psi? I know, different animal though).

Sorry, I'm not an expert on O-ring'd blocks, but IMO if there were more problems with SS, have they been milled down and/or the block machined properly (gap/depth), for a good seal? Just trying to compare apples to apples. Copper is softer and conforms better, but it would seem to me that you want a 'hard' seal there and better match the block material /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

btw, do they make blocks with a raised portion already? That would seem to be the best solution, no?

Last edited:

AWDnot2

Copper is what was in this one to begin with and it showed no signs of problems. That's what I'm putting back in it.

just wondering if you found the correct wire, cause if you didn't i can send you some out tomorrow.

AWDnot2

Not yet. I went to the hardware store looking for some. Came up dry.

let me know if you need me to get some out. i have to go to peoria tomorrow to see the doc, so it wont take much to throw some in a envelope. send me your addy and i will get some to you.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned