The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Not what I like to find

BoostedAWD91

While removing my IC piping today and catch can to test fit the new setup, i found some disturbing things. My IC piping is filled with oil, a little puddle poured out when i took it off by the intercooler and goes all the way up to the Throttle Body. Next while i removed my catch can and heard that it had a liquid in it and when i drained it out, it was all coolant and a tad of oil at the end /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif Im thinking that my headgasket is going around the coolant passages as i still have great compression?

Barnes

What kind of turbo do you have?

When was the last time you drained your catch can?

Are you 100% positive the fluid that cam out of the catch can is coolant?

oil in the IC?....maybe turbo thrust bearing/shaft seal

coolant in the catch can, more than likely what you're thinking, head gasket between oil/coolant passages leaking

turbowop

The stuff that comes out of catch cans is nasty. I wouldn't stress too bad about what may or may not come out of there. I get some weird milkshake/caramel looking sh*t come out of mine sometimes when I drain it and I have no issues with my headgasket.

the milkshake sh*t happens in my car when i dont properly warm up the engine and shut it off right away. it causes condensation to mix with the oil

Terry Posten

Just as Wop and D-side said, the milkshake stuff is condensate mixed with oil. I get it also. And if you think that is bad,the e85 guys have that in the oil pans if they do a lot of short trip driving.

My friends alky dragster looks nasty under the VCs if he does not get the motor up to full temp and has to open her up for some reason.

Clean out the IC system, and run it for a little bit. Check the pipes to see if it is still building up. But keep your catch can below 1/2 or it can pull that crap back into the system.

BoostedAWD91

well when i first started the drain the catch can, it was just mostly coolant. The can wasnt near half full and i usually drain every month or two since i don't drive it very often. Every other time it has been the milky oil or just all oil but this is the first time it has been all coolant and a few drops of oil. Id like to just keep alittle more oil out of the pipes as there was a good amount in there.

Muskrat

what kind of catch can are you running? Does it have any baffling and/or anything to help the oil vapors condense and drop into the can, instead of going stright back out the outlet? (I'm assuming it's not vented, but recirc'ed back to the intake like stock)

If catch can isn't recirced and/or is a quality can I'd suspect turbo oil seals leaking.

Barnes

If there isn't a doubt about coolant in the catch can then yeah, sounds like HG to me. Coolant does have a pretty distinctive look and smell.

BoostedAWD91

Quoting Muskrat:
what kind of catch can are you running? Does it have any baffling and/or anything to help the oil vapors condense and drop into the can, instead of going stright back out the outlet? (I'm assuming it's not vented, but recirc'ed back to the intake like stock)

If catch can isn't recirced and/or is a quality can I'd suspect turbo oil seals leaking.

Its a custom can built by JMF. It does have baffling inside. here is a picture
img.php

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned