The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

No reverse + 5th (resolved)

tektic

I think my linkage is damaged. I suspect if it's slightly bent this would be causing major binding? Has anyone successfully repaired shifter cables or should i just try to locate another set?

Also the set of aluminum bushings that came with my trans seem a mm or two too small for the rings on the end of the cable. Is that normal or acceptable, or is it contributing to my problem?

Resolution: Missing small plastic cube from on trans shifter mechanism.
Part number MD712919

Last edited:

Barnes

Loosen/take out your reverse light sensor, and try it again.

Leon_R

You may have a problem with your "5th gear nut", they tend to loosen up and cause 5th/reverse peoblems. You need to remove outer teanny cover to check this. You might be lucky if you caught this early enough. But I wiludnt drive the car until you fix this!

Unless...you have a spare tranny sitting around...

prove_it

I had one come loose. It ground into the sandwich plate and ruined all hope of repair. Along with this, I would try adjusting your cables and verifying that the shifter arms are not hitting anything. Also disconnect the cables and try putting the car in 5th and reverse. Make sure it's not the cables.

tektic

i removed the reverse switch. that wasn't it. the cable is visibly bent, I just don't know how i can repair it. I haven't removed it from the car yet though.

prove_it

You will need new cables to repair it. Sometimes you gotta just get new.

raptorWagon

I had this issue, but mine was narrowed down to a bent fork. Within a week of 5th going out, Reverse was gone shortly after and suddenly I had a 4spd. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

tektic

@ raptorreed

Were you able to shift by hand at the trans into reverse and 5th? I can put it in reverse and then start it and drive in reverse. I just cant select it from the shifter.

Edit: I was missing a little plastic block Mitsubishi calls the M/T Shoe pn MD712919. $5.44 later I have two being shipped from NJ and should be here by Wednesday.
This was my first problem. I can get it into reverse now, but its still kinda hard to do. The adjustment is all the way out too. I'll work on it a little more later.

Last edited:

EMX5636

without that block on the shifter arm, you should have a bunch of play in the shifter side/side. I'm surprised you didn't have any issues with 1/2 as well, but glad you got it resolved.

raptorWagon

Quoting tektic:
@ raptorreed

Were you able to shift by hand at the trans into reverse and 5th? I an put it in reverse and then start it and drive in reverse. I just cant select it from the shifter.

Edit: I was missing a little plastic block Mitsubishi calls the M/T Shoe pn MD712919. $5.44 later I have two being shipped from NJ and should be here by Wednesday.
This was my first problem. I can get it into reverse now, but its still kinda hard to do. The adjustment is all the way out too. I'll work on it a little more later.

Nope, I was completely blocked out of either gear and at shifter those gear positions were non-existent.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned