The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Nice QUIET exhaust

blacksheep

Quoting KiNgMaRtY:
I have a RRE 3" Stealth No Restrictions Exhaust. It is so quite, too quiet. Not much louder than stock

Can you post underneath pics? What all does it consist if? I don't see this on their site!

5OF2k

Quoting Redwood:
what all are the HP that you guys are running with these stock sounding exhaust. that is still one of the big things i need to get for my car. i would like to keep it super quite and sleeper sounding, well as much as possible.

BEST way to do that would be to get a stock muffler on a stock exhaust and install a cut out in-line at the downpipe. Quiet all the time, flip a switch or pull a nob/lever and boom, free flow.

There is no way you're going to get a high flow exhaust anything but moderately quiet, especially if you're making decent power. Once you hit full boost the exhaust note tends to nearly double in decibles. It's just how it goes!

-Jake

MellowVR4

^1 maybe also a video so we can here it

This was a request for the vr4 with the RRE muffler

Last edited:

Redwood

Quoting 5OF2k:
Quoting Redwood:
what all are the HP that you guys are running with these stock sounding exhaust. that is still one of the big things i need to get for my car. i would like to keep it super quite and sleeper sounding, well as much as possible.

BEST way to do that would be to get a stock muffler on a stock exhaust and install a cut out in-line at the downpipe. Quiet all the time, flip a switch or pull a nob/lever and boom, free flow.

There is no way you're going to get a high flow exhaust anything but moderately quiet, especially if you're making decent power. Once you hit full boost the exhaust note tends to nearly double in decibles. It's just how it goes!

-Jake

ok cool thanks i geuss it wont end up being that quite then. just wanted to check wasnt sure but that for sure makes sence.

MellowVR4

I just contacted RRE, they said that all they carry is magnaflow muffler on their exhaust systems. They also said that most likely the muffler that is on his car is not on the RRE site but they can get you any muffler you want, in magnaflow that is.

MellowVR4

Quoting KiNgMaRtY:
I have a RRE 3" Stealth No Restrictions Exhaust. It is so quite, too quiet. Not much louder than stock
4-27-11RearPictureExhaust.jpg

4-27-11RearSideViewExhaustTop-1.jpg

Can you post some measurements up on the muffler please, i would appreciate it thanks.

cheekychimp

Quoting BpuVR4:
Was a bit interested to see if the 2.5" piping for 16g cars discussion go further.

I'm pretty sure that a larger exhaust and or an open muffler does liberate more power. I ran that 4" bullet muffler in the picture above for a few weeks. It was unbearably loud but the car did seem a tiny bit faster at WOT. To me it just wasn't worth all the extra noise for such a tiny improvement in performance.

There are plenty of guys above that say that they have quiet 3" exhausts and I have no reason to disbelieve them. I also know for a fact that my 2.5" system did nothing to reduce the noise level when used in conjunction with that bullet muffler. So actually, I'm inclined to say that your muffler choice is far more important for keeping the car quiet, than your decision to go with a 2.5" or 3" system.

My initial comments were simply that a 3" system wasn't really necessary for a 16G car, but that's based upon my assumption that 'most' 16G cars make between 250-300 WHP at best. I think that rather than saying a 3" turbo is unnecessary for a 16G car I should have said a 3" exhaust is unnecessary below a certain horsepower level. I am sure that the guys on here who explored the envelope with 16G turbos and made 400 WHP on them were using exhausts that were larger than 2.5". However, I am betting those cars were loud as hell at WOT as well.

Last edited:

matt92vr4

Wot isn't my concern. It can be loud at wot. I just want it quiet at cruising rpms and throttle positions.

matt92vr4

Hi guys, I would like to order a resonator today from Summit however at the same time I would like to order everything I need to build the exhaust. For the guys who have built their own, what bends have you used? How many feet of straight pipe did you use?

So far I have the ebay 3" downpipe and the 3" vibrant oval black muffler. I would be nice to have everything ready to go when I crawl under it. Thanks!

KiNgMaRtY

I just saw the request. I'll try to take some underneath pics this weekend. No video for a few weeks as I shipped out my clutch pedal to Shepard for a rebuild.

slugsgomoo

Quoting matt92vr4:
Wot isn't my concern. It can be loud at wot. I just want it quiet at cruising rpms and throttle positions.

In that case, run a stock exhaust and an electronic cutout. Have quiet factory levels normally and when you don't care about losing your license, open the cut. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ughdunno.gif

matt92vr4

I installed one of those once on a customers car. It was pretty cool but not my thing. I go WOT too often to keep flipping that switch and waiting for the valve to open.

Loosing license? Florida is not strict. The turbo quiets things down plenty to keep the cops away. I just need to make sure I don't keep my wife away.

Last edited:

5OF2k

That depends on your turbo, honestly Matt. My car is WAY louder with the T67 on there now. Went from being resonably quiet save for WOT(even then it wasnt too loud)to being able to be heard from blocks away, and not just because my WG goes to atmosphere at the moment, this is tailpipe noise.

In effect, the larger the turbo, the louder the exhaust will potentially be. THe more air it moves, the louder the noise coming from the tailpipe(also the greater the need for a larger diameter).

Sure, you can still add resonators and such to try and combat the noise, but thats really only going to make a difference at idle and partial throttle. Once you go WOT people are going to KNOW.

-Jake

matt92vr4

That's cool. I like the automated one controlled by boost pressure. Is that your car in the vid? What % HP gain was that? How restrictive was the rest of the exhaust after the cutout?

Last edited:

matt92vr4

I'm looking at this place:

click

They seem to have good reviews and prices. From the downpipe to the muffler, do you think 4 45degree bends and a 5' straight section will do it?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned