The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Newb Question: Shops to rebuild turbo? E3 16g

desant78

Hey guys title should explain it all....I'm looking at a (E3 16g) turbo that needs rebuilding. Where do you even go to get this done? any members do this? and the kits, good idea? I got tools and time for a rebuild kit, but i heard that it's the same price of sending it out.

help please!!

thanks in advance!

jmorri15

i just had a guy on dsmtuners rebuild my 18g and he upgraded it to a 20g for a total of 350, mine was really bad off and he had to replace both wheels, his normal price is 150 for a normal rebuild, his username is jusmx141

Diego

Kits can be had for less then stated above, if you buy a kit its very straight forward on how to rebuild it.

Diego

click

As long as your wheels never hit tye turbine housing this is all you'll need.

birdman24

Quoting jmorri15:
i just had a guy on dsmtuners rebuild my 18g and he upgraded it to a 20g for a total of 350, mine was really bad off and he had to replace both wheels, his normal price is 150 for a normal rebuild, his username is jusmx141

jmorri15 did he also balance your turbo for you?

jmorri15

he did a parts balancing, he said since it was originally individually balanced it would not need to be balanced as a complete unit unless i wanted it. heres the email he sent after he finished
"Turbo's done- turned out absolutely awesome. I had a slower-than-normal week at the shop so while your compressor cover was being machined I gave the turbine housing some attention. I smoothed out the inlet a little and repaired one of the manifold mounting holes- the threads in that particular hole was little on the weak side. Even when a bolt was threaded the entire was through it felt a little "loose" to me. By polishing the inlet it also exposed some of the heat cracking in the metal below- don't be alarmed.

$150 for the rebuild- I ran short on the upgraded thrust plates and when I ordered them last week I received four of the wrong kits, so I rebuilt it with an Genuine MHI thrust plate instead. It will have the same durability as a new 20G from Mitsubishi. Turbine replacement was $55, compressor was $75, and the machinework to the cover was $50 as I had guessed....bringing the grand total to $330"

89Mirageman

Me personally, I would buy a new one and be done with it. They are too cheap to bother with rebuilding. Now if you can do it yourself with a $75 rebuild kit then maybe, but I wouldn't pay a few hundred for the work when you can add a little more and go new. Plus you can sell the old one and get something back out of it.

jmorri15

a new greddy 18g is 1800, you can get a 16g for alot less but mine made more sense to rebuild cause of the cost of replacement.

AnotherNewb

+1 on talking to jusmx141 I have an hx40 that he went through. This guy knows everything about turbos. He was able to tell what turbo I had (not the hx40) just with a few crappy pics. And he warrenties them also. Just keep in mind a new 16g from fp is $499.

desant78

very helpful thanks everyone!

so aside from the dsmtuner, anyone have luck rebuilding them yourselves? looks like right now for $150 he is my best bet....

jepherz

Staff member
I rebuilt my 14b in my DD just because it was leaking some oil. It has been fine for 5 months and probably 6k miles. I got an OWN Mitsu kit off if ebay.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned