The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

New Owner of 820/1000

GSTwithPSI

820 cleaned up nicely. The crappy cell phone pics don't do the car justice. Up next; interior deep clean.

WP_002491.jpg

WP_002489.jpg

WP_002494.jpg

WP_002493.jpg

WP_002502.jpg

WP_002504.jpg

WP_002506.jpg

G

Staff member
Looks good, how did you repair the hood? Did it have holes in it or just surface rust?

GSTwithPSI

Just minor surface rust on the hood. I basically just sanded it down, sealed it with rust bullet and painted it. You can still see some imperfections up close.

To do the job right, you would need to strip it down to the metal, seal it, then fill it with body filler where needed. Then block sand, paint, sand, paint, sand, paint...You get the idea.

G

Staff member
Overall the car looks much better!

prove_it

So when fixing rust like this, is there any concern to the backside of the metal having a future rusting issue? Or am i over thinking it.

715 will be getting the same treatment. Not a show car, but want to kill the rust.

GSTwithPSI

Yeah, that's the purpose of cutting away the "infected" metal. If there's just surface rust, you can treat it topically with sealer. Just clean it up, remove the rust scale and pits to the best of your ability, and apply the sealer of your choice. But, if there are any areas rusted completely through, you'll need to cut that metal away or it's likely to spread even after being treated.

On an area like the rocker panel, you don't have access to the back side of the panel. That makes it hard to see exactly how far the rust has spread, so I just cut out anything in question.

GSTwithPSI

Not anything sexy, just more maintenance.

I did a little fuel system reconditioning. I started with new injector seals and O-rings. I blew out the rail, lines, cleaned the injector baskets, and cleaned/inspected the FPR.
WP_002509.jpg

WP_002511.jpg

Pulled the fuel pump and reconditioned the hangar. I have a new Denso pump on the way to replace the old stocker.
WP_002512.jpg

Tank looks good at least.
WP_002517.jpg

Old fuel filter removed.
WP_002513.jpg

Here's what came out if it. No, that's not oil. It's supposed to be gasoline...
WP_002514.jpg

New filter.
WP_002518.jpg

GSTwithPSI

Thanks for the compliment. The gauges were sourced from Ebay, originally from a WRX. There are clones of these branded with the Mitsubishi diamond that came in some the Evos as well.

GSTwithPSI

Well imagine that, the filler hose was leaking. Thanks JNZ:
WP_002615.jpg

New one installed:
WP_002616.jpg

So, on to the interior deep clean. This car had obviously suffered from years and years of neglect. I pulled Cheerios and SweetTarts from damn near every nook and cranny the interior had to offer. I just wanted a sanitary interior that didn't smell like ass...Mission accomplished.

Here's the carpet before:
WP_002590.jpg

WP_002591.jpg

WP_002592.jpg'

Here's the same carpet after 3 hours of cleaning:
WP_002594.jpg

WP_002595.jpg

WP_002596.jpg

WP_002608.jpg

WP_002607.jpg

WP_002612.jpg

WP_002604.jpg

While I had the whole interior out, I treated all the leather and detailed all the plastic. Just gave everything a good cleaning overall. Looks great IMO:
WP_002610.jpg

WP_002611.jpg

WP_002603.jpg

WP_002609.jpg

WP_002613.jpg

WP_002605.jpg

Then, I did a little more work under the hood. The car is starting to look less like a turd and more like a shiny turd.
WP_002617.jpg

WP_002619.jpg

WP_002618.jpg

Last edited:

ApexHunter

That carpet was nasty. Gooey beverages? Baby poop? Mobile Taxidermy? Who knows. Yikes.
Turning into a nice little car! Cool steering wheel and stereo/gauges.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Nice transformation.

GSTwithPSI

Thanks for the comments guys, I appreciate the positive feedback.

Shane, the paint looks good from a distance, but still has its flaws up close. Like I said, a 10 footer. If I would have dedicated the time and effort to doing more body work and invested in more paint, I could have done a better job. Overall, the exterior meets my goals. The priority was killing the rust while making the exterior less of an eyesore.

Brad, yes, the fuse box looks similar to the DSM. Although, it looks the same as the one on 1837 also, so I'm not sure what you're getting at. Are they supposed to be different?

So, finished up the rest of the fuel system maintenance today. Got a new OEM Denso fuel pump so this build would have G's blessing, as well as a new pump strainer:
WP_002620.jpg

WP_002626.jpg

Installed the pump and coated the top of the hangar with Rust Bullet:
WP_002627.jpg

WP_002628.jpg

There was a bit of sediment in the tank baffle. I wasn't about to drop the tank to get it out...
WP_002621.jpg

So here's the redneck way to get it out without a ton of work. I rigged up my vacuum brake bleeder to suck it out. Worked great:
WP_002622.jpg

The vacuum sucked the sediment right out of my fuel tank into the bleeder tank. Worked like a charm.
WP_002624.jpg

All clean /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
WP_002623.jpg

Buttoned up the fuel system and went to 7-Eleven to fill up and grab a Slim Jim:
WP_002630.jpg

A Galant VR-4 off of jackstands...Historic indeed.
WP_002632.jpg

Then put some miles on her, and took some pics:
WP_002636.jpg

WP_002638.jpg

WP_002645.jpg

WP_002635.jpg

WP_002647.jpg

WP_002643.jpg

WP_002655.jpg

WP_002644.jpg

WP_002653.jpg

Now that the car is looking decent and running reliably, I've just have to address some little things. The front bumper needs a new chrome strip. There are some exhaust leaks and other little issues that need attention. There are still a few small rust spots that need a wire wheel and topical treatment, nothing crazy. Overall, this car is really solid and I'm super happy with it.

I'd like to thank the previous owner Doug for giving me the opportunity to restore this car. He's done more than his fair share to make this build possible. Thanks, Doug.

G

Staff member
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif What a great job man, looks a million times better. Is that a stock replacement pump? Was the old one shot or just wanted the peace of mind it was replaced and brand new? Blizzaks next ?

BENE38A

maryland number plate reminds me of the tv series "the wire", anyway you have done a great job with the car.

bradrs

Quoting GSTwithPSI:

Brad, yes, the fuse box looks similar to the DSM. Although, it looks the same as the one on 1837 also, so I'm not sure what you're getting at. Are they supposed to be different?

I hadn't noticed that underhood on the GVR-4 before. I had been working on sourcing a replacement one for the DSM, if it fits the GVR-4 too, that is good to know.

The car looks great. I need to stop looking at these or I will wind up with one in my driveway.

toybreaker

iconoclast
Quoting bradrs:
Is that little fuse box hanging off the battery the same as in a 90 DSM?

Brad,

I *believe* the 90 dsm fuse holder is a three place unit.

The dsm models with abs use a four place unit, (the extra spot holds the primary abs fuse)

The 92-94 dsm (with abs) would *probably* be the same as the vr4 as all usdm vr4 models had abs.

Quoting bradrs:
The car looks great. I need to stop looking at these or I will wind up with one on jackstands.

*fixed* that for ya /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned