The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

new new owner of the 452/2000

Kibby

I picked this car up last year from the previous 452 guy on the forum. What a nightmare and lies i was told. im not here to flame him. I joined the forum to gain knowledge for the vr4 in an attempt to get it to the "reliable" state that i was told it was in. So far I've properly removed the rear steering and lines and swapped the steering rack for an eclipse one, the one on it had leaky bolts screwed in the rear steering ports and the passenger inner tie rod was about to fall out, since I have a few parts from my old 92 gsx but thats another story. Swapped the rear for a 4bolt lsd which made a huge difference. There are so many fluid,exhaust,water leaks on the car its a nightmare, which i was told it only had a small oil leak. I bought this as an alternative to buying an evo 8. I figured what I would pay for an evo I can invest into this car. It also has a serious random electrical issue or two rather: the battery randomly dies and everytime I start the car I have to rev it above 3k rpm to get the alt. to "kick on" or it will not produce more than 11.2 volts. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif I do that just about everytime I go to start it or work on it. Any advice or info with some of my issues would be helpful. I don't need flaming I know there is a search button and I plan to use it and gain as much info as I can. I'll post more as I can think of other nightmares I have lol. Thanks.

MellowVR4

might be the alternator relay

Personally I would've bought the EVO. But hey what can you do now, jut enjoy the ride. You should've checked the car better before buying or did you buy it online without seeing it? You've had the car for a year with all these problems and haven't fixed any of them? Wow. Scrap you're altanator and buy a new one or you might have a short killing you're battery. Good luck with the car and welcome.

Kibby

Well the alt was replaced before I bought it. As far as the issues electrically idk if it started after I got it or the p.o. just didnt tell me. When I test drove it everything seemed fine. I havent put anymore than 400 miles on it. Last year is a I put it on the road via histoic tags in august so I could at least test drive the bugs. I got laid off for a few months so money was tight and still is 10 months after working again. Ive just adjusted my budget to spare a few bens a month to start fixing it. Owning a house 4 cars and raising a kid isnt exactly dsm budget friendly and dont hound me about the cars. My buddy drives my truck and pays the insurance, the crx is the gas saver and a buick for the family whip.as well as the $10 a month insurance for the vr4 lol.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I would also evaluate the alternator plug and wiring for crustiness. Sounds like you may not be getting full voltage to trigger the field.

It could also be a bad "replaced" alternator.

Kibby

Yay...now the flex pipe has decided to break offering an open downpipe and 25creepingpsi.....I just cant win. Downpipe and I guess hack/extend the eclipse exhaust I have now. Ug. But with all that I mine as well swap my turbo since this one runs like crap. Mine has less than 2000 miles though and the evo o2 housing will allow better flow. Need fuel pump and fpr too. Bleh just rambling but updating the car progress.

So I haven't been On this Forum in a bit, So i decided to check in and see if you had posted how the rebuild of the car was going. And I found this thread, and am a bit disappointed. You told me you were planning on doing a bit of a rebuild on the car to get it up and going.

I didn't keep anything from you

When you bought the car you knew the rear steering was toast in it. You knew I used brass plugs to keep the fluid in, and that it still leaked a bit. only reason i didnt remove it completely was because it was my only car, and i worked 2 jobs

I bet if you took a look at the belt for the alternator it may be a bit loose, you also knew about this.

The Chassis needed to be gone over, most of the work i did kept the car on the road. Doesnt surprise me that it was a bit wore out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif (you should have seen the control arm i replaced... the ball joint fell out when i turned it upside down)

what else is leaking? the oil pan had some seepage, and the turbo return line was severly messed up.. was there something i didnt know about?

And last but not least... DUDE YOU HAVE MY NUMBER why didnt you call me to let me know what was up? I would have helped in any way i could have. I am sorry you feel like I got over on you, that was not my intention.

I drove that car for 6 months 80 miles every day, and drove it to west virginia twice... only problem i had with it was the alternator failing.

It seems that your build process is going well though. good luck!

PM me or Give me a call if you need anything! It seems that your build process is going well though. good luck!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned