The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

New GV4 Owner 900/2000 New Jersey

transparentdsm

i might have a chip for a MAF-T laying around and you can correct for the injector size with the translator and ill give you the chip for 30$ shipped.

desant78

Howdy! Welcome to the club!

I'm about 20 mins out of Philadelphia, but I have a TON of random DSM/vr4 parts, so if you are in need of anything let me know! If you have any questions, feel free to PM me and grab my phone number. I am far from a guru, but I've kinda gone over a gvr4 top to bottom 3 times, and am constantly tinkering with other random cars, so I might not have all the answers, but I got a bunch.

I have 995/1000 and 1662/2000. Unfortunately, 995 was the DD until the alternator AND shift fork (can't make this up) broke the same day. She has been parked since October. JNZ tuning and ExtremePSI are great places for parts. Don't forget rock auto! Certain parts people like from there (like my clutch slave/master and front control arms).

I'm currently swapping a 1g dsm from manual to auto, and with a fresh motor attempting to dip into the 9's. As a stick car it went low 10s, and now we reduced weight, added more power, and converted it to a built auto with stalled convertor. If you are ever in the area, stop by!

Turbotrix

I appreciate everyones input and welcome:)
Thanx for offering that eprom but I'm going for ECM LINK or AEM Since i tuned non DSM's with AEM before....But looking into ECM since its cheaper and from what i seen so far its more then capable of doing what i need.Do i have to send my ECM to ECM Link or can i swap the eprom myself?I changed the caps today so seems like I'm ready to go

Descant78 i sent you pm

Last edited:

Turbotrix

That EPROM chip has a burn mark in the middle would that be a sign the eprom is fried?but im assuming if it was car would not run?

Turbotrix

Thanx for the answer
Im going SD on my set up and from what i undrstand i can tap MAP into back of intake manifold next to Brake booster vacuum port is that correct?

transparentdsm

check out the bottom of page 11 in my build thread. i use a vacuum distribution block. that is the vacuum source i use for my boost gauge, MAP for SD, MAP for Meth and BOV. there are two ways to set it up. you can run the like from the back of the intake to there and then to the brake booster, not my favorite way. if you are running a catch can and you have eliminated the PCV valve,like myself, you can use the PCV valve port on the intake manifold and feed it straight to the distribution block and cap the other side. your way also works, but if your going speed density your probably going to have other vacuum needs as well and i hate T-ing off vacuum lines.

Turbotrix

You making a Great Point.My Buddy Has A Local Performance Store And Has Some Vibrant Performace Vacuum Blocks have you seen these?Also wondering if you have seen anyone USE Vibrant Black series mufflers with 3" inlet And Dual 3" Outlets just wondering how they sound compared to Magaflow,Im Tig Welding My Own Exhaust and just wondering how these sound/perform as i been out of the game for a while

click

Last edited:

transparentdsm

yeah i have seen the vibrant ones, there nice and basically the same thing i have. as for the exhaust i have no idea, i ran a dynamax VT and still do and the longer i have it the less i like it and once its spring ill be going back to a straight pipe. i have heard good things about the vibrant exhaust though. hopefully someone with experience with one can chime in.

Turbotrix

yeah i like the Vibrant "Stealth Series) Which Come in Stalthy Slee im not sure what they are coted with.Price is around $120 so not bad
Decided to go With ECM Link v3 Since its been tested in and out and tons of support out there In DSM Community instead of AEM,For my goals ECM Will be Perfect.Will order today

strokin4dr

Quoting Turbotrix:

Im going SD on my set up and from what i understand i can tap MAP into back of intake manifold next to Brake booster vacuum port is that correct?

yeah i like the Vibrant "Stealth Series) Which Come in Stalthy Slee im not sure what they are coted with.Price is around $120 so not bad
Decided to go With ECM Link v3 Since its been tested in and out and tons of support out there In DSM Community instead of AEM,For my goals ECM Will be Perfect.Will order today

I tapped the back of the intake like you are referring to when I swapped to speed density. Works great.

I also used the Vibrant muffler you are mentioned with an 18" (i think) vibrant resonator. Full 3" from turbo back. Running a recirculated wastegate with a bastard 20g. It's much quieter than the magnaflow I removed.

Here's a pic of when I was installing it. You do have to get crafty with muffler mounting though. The tips are much shorter than the stock setup, so the muffler has to be pushed farther back towards the rear to work. I used mandrel bent 45* bends and a 6' piece of straight pipe to complete the exhaust.

Turbotrix

Good Job Looks Freakin Good Love that Stealthy Look:)
Thanx For Info
BTW from what i heard,once that muffler "brakes in"LoL It Will get alot louder
Can you share some Photos of your SD Set up?
How did the tune go?
Did you have any idle problems?
Once i get my set up would love to see your ECM Log
Keep on boostin:)

Turbotrix

I just discovered fuel odor from the trunk seems like the sending unit has never been taken out I see a lot of fuel seepage around sending unit is that common on gv4? will 1g DSM sending unit fit the Galant vr4?seems like my original is rusted here is some photos any help will be appreciated if anybody has a good sending unit I will buy it Thanks

thomcasey

DSM Sending unit is too tall. There is a way to shorten it (there is a writeup on the for it) or you can find a used one. I think someone has one for sale on here. Soak the crap out of those 8mm nuts and studs with PB Blaster, they love to snap off

LIV4PSI

I have two sending units. One for $50 that needs a bulkhead for the feed line, and one really nice one for $150 with a Walbro 255 pump

GSTwithPSI

That sending unit looks mint compared to others I've seen. It would probably clean up just fine with a wire brush and some TLC. Soak the little 8mm bolts in PB blaster or something a few times before you try and remove them. The toughest part is always getting the line fitting to loosen up without twisting the metal.

Last edited:

Turbotrix

live4psi you think you can post the picture of the unit with the Walbro pump?I could definitely use one cuz i recondition this one I appreciate everyone's support and help

DSMGVR4

I think Jeff Hill had been using the TurboTrix name since the early 90's. Either way, good find! Like you I have been out for awhile now, and need a GVR4.41= midlifeccrisis.

LIV4PSI

I can pull it and take a pic tomorrow. I has some surface rust, but sealed fine

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned