The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

need help selecting Gears

Rausch

Quoting 1457gvr4:
Depends on who's driving the car. If its Terry driving then it wont make it around the block.

You have obviously never been in a car with OHB driving.

Lonewolf64

I got the same type of explanation from John, and he said that my OE 1st gear would be fine when he built my transmission. So far, I've had zero problems with it on the current ~326whp setup. I haven't exactly babied it, but I haven't really given it a huge amount of abuse either. Street driving with occasional NLTS and studderbox launching.

Diego

well i know im over stock and well under OMFG this is crazy parts...... i will give them a call and see whats going on...

My Trans is fine EXCEPT the "OUTPUT" shaft got shredded when i put in the X-case.... so i just need a new output shaft, but a rebuild wouldnt be bad while its out....

turbowop

You don't even need to drop the transmission to replace the output shaft. Pull off the endcase, remove the VC and slide it out to replace with another.

Diego

Wopper is there a write-up...(sketch) for that... so i can see what i have to pull down.... Terry whre are ya at with the pictures... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Diego

i still want to pull it... clutch is NEWer... about ~1k miles on that.. but could be stronger, anything past 15psi it starts to slip... its a stockish clutch... Damn Ebay Exedys

Last edited:

DR1665

This going with a 1G 1st gear thing is news to me. I can't think of a single GVR4 rally car driver who would even consider it. And the only reason I've heard to replace it with anything else (typically an Evo III first) is for better acceleration. I'm no Mitsubishi transmission expert by any means, but the guys I know who are seriously abusing GVR4s off road for years on end seem to know what they're doing. Just seems weird that SO many people who are making SO much power would seem to have SO much trouble.

:shrug

CarRacer

I think the key is the off road part. It would probably limit the abuse the transmission would take due to wheel spin.

It's just like launching on the street versus the drag strip. The traction on the prepared surface of a drag strip is very hard on a drivetrain. Thats my guess anyways.

Brianawd

Quote:
This going with a 1G 1st gear thing is news to me. I can't think of a single GVR4 rally car driver who would even consider it. And the only reason I've heard to replace it with anything else (typically an Evo III first) is for better acceleration. I'm no Mitsubishi transmission expert by any means, but the guys I know who are seriously abusing GVR4s off road for years on end seem to know what they're doing. Just seems weird that SO many people who are making SO much power would seem to have SO much trouble.

Rally car and street strip car are two way different things. You don't put close to the stress on first gear launching it in gravel as you do launching it on a sticky ass drag strip. Or even a tarmac rally.

If you want I can find the pic up my gvr4 1st gear after a 6k launch. It took every tooth off the gear. Putting a dsm 1st gear in has been around since 2001.

Evo 3 1st gear is great for a street car and auto cross car but not so great for a drag car. It just tall enough that it makes launching the car hard. Car tends to want to bog.

turbowop

I wasn't even making that much power when I stripped mine. Was right after I installed the FPgreen and wasn't fully tuned yet. Just had a good launch and BOOM!, ripped the teeth clean off the gear.

brisvr4

+1... Mine stripped most of the teeth off and I didn't even launch it! Just hard acceleration in 1st.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts

Recent Classifieds Listings