The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Need extreme cooling help. Best radiator/fan etc. setup for our cars?

JamesFoster

Hey guys, my car (Agnes, 852/2000) has a pretty old beat up stock radiator (with two slim line fans). Along with the OEM A/C setup (which works awesome), and when it gets really hot out here where I live, in the 100*+ degree range, she starts to act up a bit and I have to turn the a/c off to keep the car from getting warm.

My question to you guys is, what would be my best recourse to keep her running as cool and happy as possible?

My best guess would be, an aluminum radiator, and a 180* thermostat, along with the slimline fans I currently have.

Do you guys think that would be enough? Anything else I can do to chill her out?

Thanks,
James

Last edited:

DynastyLCD

do you have ecmlink V3? if you do, an option would be the 160 thermostat too.

you can edit your options through ECM config > Dash > Coolant Offset

lets say the computer's temp sensor logs 165 when the thermostat is open. you need to get to 185 or 190 to get to open loop. so, coolant offset would be 20-25 depending, as coolant offset adds to what the ECU is seeing to compensate for running a lower degree theromstat. now, you can keep the car running very cool, and it wont just run pig rich like its in closed loop all the time.

JamesFoster

I don't have v3 right now. I have v2, and I've been to lazy to send it in for the upgrade. I'll probably send it in next week.

So basically you're saying I can run a 160* t-stat if I setup the coolant offset to trick the car into thinking it's running at 185-190 so it gets into open loop?

sounds good to me, if I understand correctly.

DynastyLCD

right you are!

i'm not too familiar with V2 or V2.5 from memory, i helped a few buddies tune with it, but i didn't know/understand the ins and outs of it the way that i do with V3.

maybe look into it, see if theres a coolant offset in the same fashion?

misterfixit

Get a fan off 2.0 td proton persona. Biggest fan ever fitted factory to these cores. They had double row rads (same as the lancer evo 123) from the factory. The fan itself uses 3mm^2 wiring and a 30a fuse. You'll need to reconfigure the low speed, but it won't get hot.

Rich

citymunky

Proton's are not sold here in the states.

DSMRonin

I'm also looking for a radiator set up for my GVR4. I just pulled the Engine and noticed the Rad in bad shape. While pulling the motor, I decided to pull the A/C, so at least I'll have more room up front. Any help on a good set up would be greatly appreciated.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

I was able to make my fan come on high all the time...don't know anything about your setup. Does it use the stock fan switch? If you search around, there is a link on doing this.

raptorWagon

Quoting citymunky:

Why should that stop anyone from getting parts? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

quato

I have a pretty thick FMIC and a large oil cooler in front of my AFCO radiator with slim fan. Car stays rock solid in traffic with 100 degree + temps in San Antonio weather. No A/C.

The driver suffers though, lol

Last edited by a moderator:

JamesFoster

Quoting blkchr91:
I was able to make my fan come on high all the time...don't know anything about your setup. Does it use the stock fan switch? If you search around, there is a link on doing this.

I did that, but it;s not enough when it gets super hot out.

JamesFoster

Quoting hotrod:
I have a pretty thick FMIC and a large oil cooler in front of my AFCO radiator with slim fan. Car stays rock solid in traffic with 100 degree + temps in San Antonio weather. No A/C.

The driver suffers though, lol

Exactly the reason I'm keeping my A/C!

citymunky

Quoting raptorreed:
Quoting citymunky:

Why should that stop anyone from getting parts? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

It wouldn't, however the cost of fan plus shipping from overseas for OEM fan will cost close to same good aftermarket fan. Why go through all the trouble?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned