The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

MAF translator for sale!!

quote:Originally posted by blacksheep:

With bigger injectors, will the s-afc be needed to fine tune trims?
Exactly what I was wondering.

EDIT: I answered my own long winded question.
smile.gif

In any case we look forward to hearing how the tuning goes.

Thanks
Jon

So what intake tube are you planning on using and what filter since that MAF is MUCH bigger? Dejon or any others have any plans on making one for it or does it come with one.

I thought I'd post some of the most relevant info from those threads just to make this thread a bit more complete. The dsmtalk thread has a huge list of all of the cars which you can get the GM MAF from that you will need. Anyway, here are the comments that the ramchargers guys made about their product:

From mike at ramchargers:
"Here is the skinny on MAF's, we recommend and support 2 different units:
3" 25180303
3.5" 25179711"

"The unit can calculate fuel delivery based on airflow and rpm this gives quite a bit of flexability in fuel delivery it is very easy to tune and eliminates the need for an AFC to compensate for mods or different size injectors."

From Bob at ramchargers:
"The unit has 5 adjustments:

BASE 10% rich to 65% lean in 5% steps. use this adjustment to correct the entire range. This is the adjustment for injector size / fuel pressure/etc.

IDLE 35% rich to 35% lean in 5% steps. This adjustment is for compensating for open PCV, vaccuum leaks, fuel pressure problems, etc.

MID 35% rich to 35% lean, this adjusts the fuel delivery between 1 psi boost and 8 psi boost. Adjust for best response and spoolup.

WOT 35% rich to 35% lean, adjusts fuel delivery over 8 psi.

AUX 35% lean to 35% rich. this setting is factored in when trigger wire is energized. It can be used to add fuel for dry N2O applications or remove fuel for Alky or propane injection setups. "

"Injector size, adjustable from 10% smaller that stock to 65% larger in 5% steps. This will allow for fuel pressure variances and other factors. Install the injectors, set the base correction and go"

"Transitions:
idle = Airflow below 10 grams/sec and rpm below 1500

cruise = base setting

mid = boost > 2 psi, all RPMs

WOT = boost > 8 psi, all RPMs

for default mode (rpm signal not connected) then idle is MAF under 10 grams/sec, mid is airflow > 65 grams , WOT is airflow > 120 grams "

"Ok, the thresholds determine which adjustment dials are being used for airflow correction. The dial selection thresholds are dependent on the RPM signal, the correction factors are not.

Base is always used since it sets the basic injector correction.

at idle you get base + idle correction
at cruise you get just base
at 'mid' you get base + mid
at WOT you get base + wot
if the trigger wire is activated, wot = base + wot + AUX.

We estimate boost using a fancy calculation that takes into account the engine operating conditions (one of which is RPM).
(like the stock ECU does to determine what to do with the boost gauge)

Without the RPM signal connected, we can only select the proper adjustment dial using airflow."

This is what their website says about it:
"The MAF Translator will allow the use of a GM MAF sensor on the 1G Talon and Eclipse turbo cars. This low restriction unit will drasticly improve spool up time and air flow. The Translator will also allow for full fuel control so that you may tune your car for changing conditions or modifications. You may also compensate for different injector sizes when you reach the time for an upgrade. Simple plug in installation plus 1 wire tap is all you will have to do. A 3 sensor, cone filter and the Translator can be installed in about 20 minutes on the stock flex hose in the stock location. Fuel tuning has never been easier and with this installed you should see a significant performance improvment. We have the sensors, filters, silcone transition hoses and whatever you may need to complete the installation. If you have questions you may call us toll free at 888 293 7267 or send an email question to us at DSM HELP The translator comes with complete instructions on how to get started using it. When installed on a 1G car the Translator allows you to chose from a 3 sensor from the Impalla SS or the 3.5 sensor from the LS1 F-Body. "

The site is www.ramchargers.com
Click on dsm performance
click on tuning
click on translator

Hope having all this in one place helps.
Jon

By the way, I think the "mid" adjustment will be great. Tuning for spool up was such a pain in the ass with the AFC even with a logger, I just could never get it quite right. I imagine this will make is much easier.

Jon

a_santos

I think this 3" dejon pipe would work OK.
img.php

I will put the MAF translator between the pipe and filter. I think it will work great. I will have to get a reducer for the turbo inlet though. No big deal.

a_santos

quote:Originally posted by a_santos:
I think this 3" dejon pipe would work OK.
img.php

I will put the MAF translator between the pipe and filter. I think it will work great. I will have to get a reducer for the turbo inlet though. No big deal.
I meant to post the pick of the pipe with the BOV tube.
rolleyes.gif

3.5" to 3". I will also be hacking & porting the MAF, so it wil be real smoove
grin.gif

4orced4door

Okay, this is sounding really good. I can't wait to hear your results Tom. I'm excited about this new setup and I believe that I will go this route since I haven't touched intake/fuel yet.

Now excuse me if this a stupid question (I have my share) but I will also need to upgrade my injectors at the same time when I do this to compensate for the upgraded flow, correct? Like with the common 2G MAS/550's upgrade?

It seems to me that since this will be flowing even more than the 2G mas, that there will definitely be a need for upgraded injectors. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

joec

You can use the translater with stock injectors. However, you'll probably run into fuel cut fairly shortly. Using bigger injectors will allow you to "trick" the ECU and allow more airflow before you hit it again.

So what MAS do i need, i've seen 94-96 impalla SS, 94 newer Z28's, 4.3 V-6 vortecs. Does anything else work?
Marc

TWEAKD4

Here is the list of vehicles that use the MAFs. First click here http://www.acdelco.com/html/catalog/index_auto.htm
Then enter 213-352 for the 3" MAF. Enter 213-353 for the 3.5" MAF.

3" I believe will flow 1000 CFM and the 3.5" will flow 1200 CFM. The 3" is sufficient for most of us here.

CKA

quote:Originally posted by Telecaster:
Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but i could vent atmosphere if i place the MAF unit passed the BOV. You are correct.

chucklesas

So what's the verdict? Anybody install it yet?

quote:Originally posted by 229of1000:
Okay, this is sounding really good. I can't wait to hear your results Tom. I'm excited about this new setup and I believe that I will go this route since I haven't touched intake/fuel yet.

Now excuse me if this a stupid question (I have my share) but I will also need to upgrade my injectors at the same time when I do this to compensate for the upgraded flow, correct? Like with the common 2G MAS/550's upgrade?

It seems to me that since this will be flowing even more than the 2G mas, that there will definitely be a need for upgraded injectors. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
If I'm not mistaken the Translator will allow you to tune for any injectors, even stock. It does the the job of both the 2G mas and the AFC. And I've yet to hear of anyone hitting fuel cut with this mas.

Oh, I'm sure you could hit fuel cut, especially with stock injectors. The factory ECU is still going to see all that airflow and shut down the fun. What you won't see however is missed counts, or MAS overrun.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned