The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Loose Compressor Housing?

Specter

I was putting my car back together with a 14b rebuilt turbo (had blown seals). I bolted the four manifold bolts, bolted the return line etc. I was tightening the waste gate on the stock 14b housing and used mediocre force to tighten one of the two bolts when all of the sudden the compressor housing moved in a circular motion, like it just flipped a bit, just enough to touch the waste gate on the gearbox bell housing. It did not come out or anything, it just circulated. I used a pry bar and flipped it back to its original location. Is this normal? Or is the housing loose? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Thanks! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

grocery_getter

On the 14B, the compressor housing is installed on the backing plate (that is part of the center section) with a big expanding C clip. The compressor housing has a notch on the back of it to line up with the backing plate for proper orientation. The notch locks the compressor housing in one position with the backing plate. If your compressor housing can turn, then maybe the notch system wasn't engaged properly.

mikus

It wouldn't be uncommon to have a 14b with the 'nub' ground off for reclocking the compressor (rotating it)

As long as the surfaces mate flat, how its clocked is irrelevant to function. If there's still a 'nub' though, there's no way it could sit flat unless it was lined up (in which case it couldn't move)

it's good it moves freely actually - when either piece is slightly warped or crudded together and you NEED to split or reclock them, it's a real pain.

i dont think it should =\ review this and have a look at the grove

http://vfaq.com/mods/Turbo-rebuild.html

rebuild-07.jpg

edit: if the pin was ground off by whoever to re-clock the trubo as mikus said. make sure your band clamp is tight.

Last edited by a moderator:

Barnes

The pin that grocery_getter talks about:
rebuild-10.jpg

This alignment pin is probably missing. If it is missing it isn't a big deal. You should take a look and determine for sure. If it is gone, and as Mikus said it is sitting nicely, it doesn't matter.

mikus

Be sure to check that the fins are clear of the housing in the end, that's the end goal of proper mating/alignment.

If the bearing is dry/zero oil there may be enough play to get them close to touching - it'll tighten up once oiled.

Specter

Hmm, okay i am a bit confused here. There are mainly two parts on the turbo. The two parts are joined by that small pin which is aligned on the compressor side and the exhaust side right. And then the C clip is positioned and tightened on it. The part which is moving is not the C clip one, the part which is moving is the silver color housing itself, not the whole thing. My whole compressor side combined with the middle part which has all the pipes going in is all tight and fit and not moving. The only part moving is the housing in which sits our turbine wheel, to which we fit the inlet tube from the maf and outlet to the inter cooler, on which you usually see turbo model and numbers written on it. Only that housing is rotating. Everything else is tight. The turbine is wheel is not touching anywhere and hardly any play as i rebuilt it.

Last edited:

steve

Quoting BarnesMobile:
The pin that grocery_getter talks about:
rebuild-10.jpg

This alignment pin is probably missing. If it is missing it isn't a big deal. You should take a look and determine for sure. If it is gone, and as Mikus said it is sitting nicely, it doesn't matter.

This.

steve

Quoting Specter:
The part which is moving is not the C clip one, the part which is moving is the silver color housing itself, not the whole thing. My whole compressor side combined with the middle part which has all the pipes going in is all tight and fit and not moving. The only part moving is the housing in which sits our turbine wheel, to which we fit the inlet tube from the maf and outlet to the inter cooler, on which you usually see turbo model and numbers written on it.

You're confusing me. The turbine wheel is found in the exhaust side, which is not silver. In the silver side of the turbo (compressor housing) you will find the compressor wheel, not the turbine. This is the side of the turbo where you would find the "TD05" marking, and you would fit the inlet tube from the MAF to it, etc.

Muskrat

The turbine housing is held on by a v-band clamp, not a c-clip. click

The compressor housing is held on by a c-clip. click

The information above is correct.

Last edited:

Specter

Sorry i incorrectly typed turbine wheel instead of compressor wheel. So yes, my V band clip is held tightly. So if the housing is moving then the C-Clip is probably not fitted right/loose. I started my car after my last post, checked for any leaks, found oil leaking from underneath the turbo. I thought its the return line. One of the bolts was loose. I wrenched and wrenched and it was not really tightening up, and then a sound came, and there you go, a broken bolt! So i took the turbo out with half of the bolt inside the hole, will check tomorrow morning whats up with the spinning housing, because i am having a feeling that the oil was not leaking from the pipe but from the compressor housing.

Muskrat

Oil would not leak from the compressor housing unless the seals in your turbo are blown. Even then, probably wouldn't leak, but get pushed through the intake system and burned.

Specter

Then it must have been the oil return line. I checked everything, the turbo is all good, nothing loose. I got the broken bolt out, will fit the turbo in few minutes and see whats up.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned