The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Liquid to air Intercooler Tank Building (pictures)`

If anyone else want one or wants to build one I can post dimensions or build them one. I can also sell you the bungs since they are now "in stock". Some "race" valve covers and catch cans are coming up next as well as the aluminum bumper support.

Quote:
Quote:
I love that dog ... it gets everywhere !!!!

Turbo has to check on his intercooler tank /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gifDid you name your dog "turbo" too. If you listen the dog in "Gone In 60 Seconds" name is "Hemi".

Quote:
Did you name your dog "turbo" too. If you listen the dog in "Gone In 60 Seconds" name is "Hemi".

Ya his name is Turbo /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

mistaVR4

Turbo loves beer too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif The tank is sweet looks even better in person, the sure ws a great design idea. Nice work /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

turboaddict

Quote:
This is all well and good the infomation here, however. What I want to know is if ANYONE has any imperical data on this? I mean, i've read a zillion threads about this subject. Yet it seems no one has data on the two systems. All this would really take is someone to stick a water temp gauge onto the cold side of the IC water supply and monitor the temps.

Sure, theory says that such and such can happen. But at what points? These theoretical points may be so far beyond the scope of the system we are dealing with, it might not matter.

To me it seems it all boils down to what can get rid of heat, in terms of joules, faster. An air/air IC, or the heat exchanger for a air/water setup.

Perhaps I'm talking out my ass. Thermo is next year so maybe I'll figue it out then. But I'm sure another one of these threads will pop up for me to use my new found knowledge with. Hopefully before that point we can get some numbers from some people and come to a conclusion.

I have a 89 mirage turbo with a liquid to air, here is my set up. s16g turbo,550cc injectors,stock jdm 1.6l 4g61t motor,3"exhaust,intake, anyway I run 21psi on pump all last year, The intercooler is out of a GMCsyclone, and the heat exchanger is a 92-95 civic radiator with the stock fan I used a surflo pump and mounted the radiator in the back of the car (under the bumper). I use a switch to turn the surflo and the fan on together (one switch). When I drive around town it is off, when I pull up next to another car that wants to lose I turn it on. One night I raced 8 cars in a row going from one hangout to another in about 10 miles. when we all stoped I jumped out and felt the intercooler, the intercooler was cool to the touch, the pipe from the intercooler to the TB was warm and the pipe from the turbo to the intercooler was so hot that I could only tap it and it would burn my fingers. Also I ran at the track with the intercooler off 13.94 or 13.96 with the intercooler on 13.52. Another thing is I don't have a water tank at all.
The great thing is if you heat soak you can add additional heat exchangers. Total I have under $300 in the system, $185 for the syclone intercooler, $75 for the surflo pump, $30 in lines and fittings, and the radiator was free (we all have friends with hondas). P.S. I run antifreeze with the water, you could run waterwetter to help.
Any questions ask away.

Last edited:

Just need mounting brackets welded on and a quick powdercoat and this will be mounted up on the car.

The progress this time...
overview.jpg

Upper weld closeup
upperbungclose.jpg

Lower weld closeup
lowerbungclose.jpg

Fits like it should!
tuckedin.jpg

Who's there?
installtop.jpg

Peakaboo
bungslower2.jpg

Peakaboo again
bungslower.jpg

It's open although it's been rained out 2 out of 3 test and tunes so far. I"m in reassembly mode now, putting bits and pieces back in while I wait for the header and motor machining to be finished.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned