The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Lightweight rear bumper cover brackets

NateCrisman

Finally got around to doing the last of the major chunks of weight loss on #139; removing the 39.5lb rear bumper support and 8lb foam.

All the parts can be found at home depot: 5' long strip of pre-holed flat steel stock, 3' of 1"x1" aluminum square tube stock, and about 1' of 90* angle pre holed steel stock. Total of about $25. Likely most long time dsmers have enough stock hardware laying around. If not you need 4 1.5" long 8mm bolts/nuts/washers and a bunch of 6mm 1.25 thread nuts. Reuse a bunch of the 6mm bolts that held the cover to the original support.

667664967_8smoZ-L.jpg

The long bar is cut down to correct length. only a few of the bolt holes will line up with existing holes in the cover, no big deal, you only need 4 or 5 bolt/nuts to hold it on. four 45* bends need to be put into the long bar to keep it flush with the cover.

667664762_z4K3Y-L.jpg

Still using the two side brackets. These two mounts are too complicated and are way too light to even bother screwing with, as they are under 1lb for both together.

667665049_Nece9-L.jpg

Drilled two holes in the square bar, tapped for 8mm 1.25 thread. Used 4 oem dsm bolts through the trunk floor existing holes to mount the bars.

I'll make up a quick drawing of the dimensions needed for drilling holes and cutting bars. It's real simple and the whole thing weighs less than 2lb for a total loss of about 45lb.

dmj

You are the man. You have that car on a serious diet. We all know you want to break into the 10's soon. do't give up and good luck. Keep posting updates.

curtis

Hey I found on mine that if you don't do something on the bottom of the cover it will sag and catch air at speed. Since I shortened my bumper all I had to do was zip tie it to the gas tank mounts. You could probably use the doubler that was there with the studs... If I remember correctly or just get another stick of the pre-drilled stuff and run part across the bottom row of holes then a few up and down and connect the two.

NateCrisman

One of the things on my to-do list is to pick up a rectangular black rubbermaid garbage can this weekend at walmart and use it to make some ducting and blockoffs. My original plan was to try and seal up around the fmic core to the bumper cover and front crossmember. Maybe block the drivers foglight hole and put a wall between the tire and my airfilter. I could also cut a few strips to seal up the rear bumper to the frame to keep airflow into the rear cover to a minimum. And adding a couple little 4" metal strips between the bumper cover and the frame would keep it from flopping around on bottom.

Seems now the remaining major weight loss is concentrated about the interior: Seats, manual belts, stereo, glovebox, tar sound deadening on floor, sunroof, crash beams inside the doors.

prove_it

don't forget the hood, fenders, trunk, and the glass! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

NateCrisman

Yeah, CF hood is on my list as well, not only for weight, but my current hood has JDM vents (I'm anti-JDM yo).

The CF trunk is $500 and it doesn't save THAT much weight. I'd be better off spending that $500 repainting the roof after swapping to a non-sunroof skin, or selling my existing wheels and buying lighter/more expensive ones. Or on the aluminum fuel cell. I think there are quite a few places that $500 can either save more weight, or make far more power for the amount spent.

curtis

Don't forget the non power mirrors Hint Hint .....got a set on ebay right now with like 6 watchers. Also have a non power antenna
click me

atc250r

Staff member
I got your CF hood right here. Waiting for you to come and get it.

NateCrisman

I do want that hood. What are you thinking for price? Is it cut for pins?

atc250r

Staff member
PM sent.

Nate,
If I remember correctly, when I had my cf trunk lid it was ~5 lbs w/o the trunk lid lights. The lights are pretty heavy.

Quoting NateCrisman:
Yeah, CF hood is on my list as well, not only for weight, but my current hood has JDM vents (I'm anti-JDM yo).

The CF trunk is $500 and it doesn't save THAT much weight. I'd be better off spending that $500 repainting the roof after swapping to a non-sunroof skin, or selling my existing wheels and buying lighter/more expensive ones. Or on the aluminum fuel cell. I think there are quite a few places that $500 can either save more weight, or make far more power for the amount spent.

whenever you get rid of the sunroof roof skin, let me know /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif maybe we can work a trade?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned