The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Leaking Gas/Fuel From Fuel Pump

Hittman

So I was working on a friend of mines potential Galant VR4 project and he was having trouble starting the car. Upon further inspection underneath the gas tank was gas leaking, I at first thought 'leaky gas tank', but then smartened up and traced it up to this:

What are our options here? It is literally shooting gas out from the top of the fuel pump!

I saw a thread that seemed to have a fix for this but forgot to save it and lost it. Couldn't remember the search terms.

Any help is appreciated.

LIV4PSI

Gas is supposed to shoot out the top of the fuel pump, and into the line. It looks like your like it is coming from the hard line attached to the sending unit.

It looks to have rusted, and that is commonly where they break. Either install a bulkhead and adapter, or replace the sending unit

Last edited:

LIV4PSI

Nope. Replacing the sending unit is basically the same as replacing the fuel pump, as you have to remove it to do the pump. The hard part is finding a sending unit

For a bulkhead, you would drill out the sending unit where the stock hard line is. Install the bulkhead fitting, and attach the fuel pump via a rubber hose. Then the adapter fitting would connect the -AN bulkhead fitting to the stock line.

LIV4PSI

Quoting Hittman:
will a 1G AWD sending unit work?

No, they are too long.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned