The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Last time out with 431 at island dragway....

NateCrisman

Quoting 89Patches:
Sounds like time for a Haltech.

AEM EMS most likely. I think Nelson bought an AEM V1 box like last winter "just incase" and we didn't end up using it, bet that's still kicking around and ready to go.

Last edited:

NateCrisman

Quoting Wookalar:
Insane. Well, now you can build her stronger than before. Take everything you know and break your old records. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Dude, we have been trying to break our own record for the last 3 years. This sh*t is a hard nut to crack! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif Especially for 2 Family Guys who rarely have time to get to the track...the car often sits for months at a time with no attention when we can't make our schedules align. Then when we do go to the track or dyno...it's often an exercise in diagnosing issues and getting it figured out.....then we break it....rinse & repeat.

Last edited:

Wookalar

I hear that, I haven't touched the galant in months. You guys are an inspiration to many, hope to see you get her running again.

slugsgomoo

hope your v1 stays working. Mine is dead (back feeding voltage through sensors, yay!), i haven't sent it back but they can't repair it if they don't have parts. Sadly, the reviews on aem v2 are pretty universally negative from what I've seen, hence why I picked up link for now.

I know at least one of the fast guys on the link boards is going Motec, which seems like the logical path if you really want to go nuts /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Gizmovr4

We have the AEM V2 since last year might as well use it. Like Nate said we are both working family guys, the car is an unsponsored hobby. Family comes first !!

One of the main limitation to this car is weight! I want the car to be able to have a full interior with working power sunroof, door locks and window! so we are forced to make more power to run faster! Not willing to cut up 431 to make it faster - that would be too easy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

The new motor is coming together - we are upgrading fuel to a mechanical pump - dual injector setup.

If all goes well 431 will be making passed sometime in September !!

Since a few motor parts decided they wanted to try and leave thru the carbon fiber hood - I took the time to repair the hood, take care of a few minor dents on the top of the fenders (from people leaning on them- you know who you are /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ) . Since I was doing bodywork anyhow - decided to shave the antenna at the same time !! 431 is super mint again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Last edited:

prove_it

That shaved antenna just might get you into the 8's. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Gizmovr4

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif aero advantage !

ApexHunter

Quoting slugsgomoo:
hope your v1 stays working. Mine is dead (back feeding voltage through sensors, yay!), i haven't sent it back but they can't repair it if they don't have parts. Sadly, the reviews on aem v2 are pretty universally negative from what I've seen, hence why I picked up link for now.

I know at least one of the fast guys on the link boards is going Motec, which seems like the logical path if you really want to go nuts /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

AEM recently announced that come 1/1/15 they will no longer support the V1. click

Galantvr41062

Now that is how you brake a motor, daum.

I had been running the best of the best CP wrist pin, when they built my Carrillo rods and CP pistons we did the 22mm and thick wall. well after 8 of them bent I upped my game and found a set with the right dimensions and seem to be holding up good so fare, I only had a set of head studs and a fried twin disk spoil this year.

I know run a set of 4 wrist pins that cost almost $200, if you want the specs let me know.

Good luck guys, body work looks good.

Gizmovr4

John,

After breaking down the motor - I found the 3 other wrist pins were bent. This was confirmation that the wrist pin in cylinder 1 did fail !!
Hopefully we can figure out this wrist pin issue !

Here is a video showing one of the wrist pins on the lathe
click

Last edited:

Gizmovr4

One of the old wrist pins vs one of the new pins !! Let's see if we bend these /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Galantvr41062

That Is a crazy wrist pin, way thicker then what I have now even.

Last edited:

NateCrisman

It takes a lot of "umph" to push a 3200lb brick to 150+ through a slush box /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

1062 - you make any progress this season. (we didn't so squat except bump the mph then blow it up again). Hopefully come out swinging in 2015, but Nelson and I have about 45 things each that supersede priority over getting 4341 to the track.

Granted....if 1062 were to snag the record from us...that would be quite motivating! (we can sure use the motivation) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

prove_it

You guys sure do motivate the rest of us. I still can't get Nate's carnage out of my mind.

So it was bent wrist pins after all, that's crazy and awesome to say you bent the wrist pins before the rods. Do you think they were slowly bending or do you suppose it happened all at once?

Galantvr41062

I had a few things work out this year. The fuel system upgrades netted 90% duty cycle on my injectors vs 120+, the catch can with drain back into block worked great, and the billet 76mm BW turbo showed great improvements over the Garrett 4202. My main issue was I had not tracked the car in over a year and was out of touch, yes my plan is to come out hard 2015, 8s then I am done at the track.

~John

NateCrisman

Hahaha.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

Nelson and I have kinda the same overall plan: "8's one "just to say we did it" and then be done. We never were into going to race events or competing in any class, this was always about chasing a number and seeing how far we could push it. But after 2 or 3 repeated major failures that take months to rebuild from, I'd say we are pretty close to the limits of how reasonably quick a brick can go and still look like a street car.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned