The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Keydiver 91-94 ecu's

Not sure if Jeff is still on here looks like he hasn't posted in a while. My question is does the 91-94 replacement ecu's he used to sell on dsmchips click have the same issues with the caps as the 91-92 galant ecu's do? The site is now permanently closed if you guys were not aware. My question is mainly due to some small issues that have started to pop up lately they are listed below.Please feel to add any comment or questions which may help also did a search 91-94 ecu tried a few different options didn't find anything specific to the 91-94 ecu's

1)The car randomly stalls out after idling after a drive doesn't do it all the time just
annoying when it does idles normally @850rpms stalls with or without a load ie fan on
lights etc.It will idle fine at 850rpms or so for a few minutes then just shut off
restarts normally?

2)Clicking sound coming from under dash near ecu it seems like more prevalent when I turn
the head lights on?

3)Car is much richer at partial throttle than it is at wot for ex in 5th gear with about
50% throttle my afr's are in the 10's 60-100% afrs's in the 11's and as I lift off the
throttle it usually goes real rich 10.0? Shouldn't it go lean as the throttle closes
it then cycles back up to 14's under normal cruising.

Thanks any and all help will be greatly appreciated....

Andy_S

All 91-94 ecu's have the same problem with caps. If you get a replacement ecu that has been recapped, its not much of an issue anymore. Newer caps don't have the same problems as the original spec caps.

AFAIK, Keydiver only sold the 94+ ECU's! They rarely have any leakage at all because they got the "newer" capacitors!

Why not open the ECU and check for some acid damage??

Quote:
1)The car randomly stalls out after idling after a drive doesn't do it all the time just
annoying when it does idles normally @850rpms stalls with or without a load ie fan on
lights etc.It will idle fine at 850rpms or so for a few minutes then just shut off
restarts normally?

2)Clicking sound coming from under dash near ecu it seems like more prevalent when I turn
the head lights on?

Whats the voltage when the engine is on??
Is the battery good??

Is it the MFI relay that is clicking??

Quote:

3)Car is much richer at partial throttle than it is at wot for ex in 5th gear with about
50% throttle my afr's are in the 10's 60-100% afrs's in the 11's and as I lift off the
throttle it usually goes real rich 10.0? Shouldn't it go lean as the throttle closes

Have you checked if the ECU's o2 sensor is working as it should??
Do you have any leak in the exhaust system or intake system??

Last edited by a moderator:

Quoting Andy_S:
All 91-94 ecu's have the same problem with caps. If you get a replacement ecu that has been recapped, its not much of an issue anymore. Newer caps don't have the same problems as the original spec caps.

Bought a complete replacement ecu that was recapped according to the keydiver but I guess checking it wouldnt hurt either....

Quoting Mr_Wolfy:
AFAIK, Keydiver only sold the 94+ ECU's! They rarely have any leakage at all because they got the "newer" capacitors!
Look at the link I posted it says 91-94 but you are correct they do have the newer capacitors iirc.

Why not open the ECU and check for some acid damage??
I will open up the ecu and check it to see if by any chance it has some damage

Quote:

restarts normally?

the head lights on?

Whats the voltage when the engine is on?? voltage is around 13.5 at idle shows 14+ when driving
Is the battery good?? batter was good last time I tested it show 12.... volts with the car off

Is it the MFI relay that is clicking?? Is the mfi relay under the dash then that could be it

Quote:

Have you checked if the ECU's o2 sensor is working as it should?? O2 sensor cycles normally according to my logger
Do you have any leak in the exhaust system or intake system??

that i will have to double check and get back

So where under the dash is the mfi relay in these cars I found several articles on different websites on how to test it but in searching here nothing just that most people say its under the dash a pic would help and also a part number just in case I need to swap it out thanks guys...

SouthCaliVR4

Drop the panel under the glove box, you'll find a big gold relay. That is it. It'll be very obvious once the trim panel is out.

If you've checked the ECU and all looks well, you might want to check for boost leaks as far as the stalling. Clicking when you turn could also be a CV joint.

Clicking from under dash not under car seems to happen when I turn the headlights on checking the ecu today at least that was the plan more snow

Terry would have more information about the differences over the years.

The impression I got from him was that it was a crapshoot whether your ECU got the shitty caps that leak or the good ones that don't.

When I had my ECU socketed by him my stock 91 ECU came with the good caps that showed no signs of leaking.

Looks like I may have to send both my ecu's to Terry as soon as this snow stops coming and I can dive my accord lol.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned