The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

is this still a boost leak?

Brunoboy

ok, I have changed all my Throttle body seals and biss oring, and gaskets, I have also changed BOV and BOV gasket. Mods are
HKS BOV
EVO VIII FMIC and Pipe kit
MHI Big 16g
DSM GT High Flow Manifold
HKS EVC IV
2g Hard Intake pipe
2g MAF
Evo VIII Injectors
Evo IX Fuel Pump
Fuel Lab FPR
MLS HG
solid Timing belt tensioner.
ARP Head Studs
BSE
2g o2 housing
2.5-3' straight pipe.
KeyDiver chip
SAFC.
Pocketlogger.

I have been getting plenty of knock on the knock gauge. but it still pulls real hard. I always thought I was running rich, and I have changed the plugs twice already. and wires. Yesterday I notice that my boost gauge will spike at 20-25 psi and then drop down all the way to 10 ish when knock hits. is this normal? I have no idea whats going on. I cannot figure out how to move my logs to the computer and upload them here. My Idle still fluctuates so i am thinking my isc is bad. vacuum at idle is 12-14 in HG still, and Timing is on point. Thanks
-Shane

grocery_getter

Vaccumm with stock cams should be at 18inHg. If you are seeing 12-14inHg, and you have a stock cams then your t-belt had jumped.

Do you still have the stock wastegate actuator solenoid hooked up in the system? ECU shuts off the solenoid to stop the w/g vacumm signal from bleeding out when it senses knock. It will make you run w/g spring rate boost, which is around 10psi.

And put the stock hydraulic timing belt tensioner back on.

grocery_getter

And stop doing pulls when you have knock!

grocery_getter

Quote:
If you are seeing 12-14inHg, and you have a stock cams *and you are sure that you do not have a boost or vacuum leak* then your t-belt had jumped.

Had to add something to the comment above.

Brunoboy

It didnt show any leaks, and I did timing three times, its a new head, with crower springs and retainers, jdm motor........I have no FPR Solenoid hooked up.
-Shane

Quote:
Timing is on point

Does this mean that you have checked the base timing *with a timing light*, as per the VFAQ, and it is at 5* BTDC?

Brunoboy

yes i have, and it is correct.....

grocery_getter

How about mechanical cam timing then? With the notch on the crank pulley at the T or zero degree, have you make sure (by use of a straight line device, not just by eyeballing) than the inside notches on each of the cam gears are in line with an imaginary straight line pulled between the center of the cam gears center bolt?

Brunoboy

are you talking about the arrow?

Brunoboy

maybe im tripping, please explain the process on cam timing again? Thanks (maybe im off a tooth or something? 0_o *shrugs*)
-Shane

a2vr4

Read. Learn. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
~Brian A. Moreno

Brunoboy

I've done all that, Thanks though, Im talking about Timing by lining up cam gears....

beaner

Quoting grocery_getter:
Vaccumm with stock cams should be at 18inHg.

I'd say minimum. Mine's in the 20s'.

Brunoboy

my old eclipse gsx ran 18-22 in hg, thats why i know something is wrong...

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned