The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

is buying an OEM clutch a waste?

Hi guys,

I will need to replace my clutch shortly and I have already bought an Exedy OEM clutch.

In your opinion should is it worth replacing with an OEM clutch or would it be "smarter" to get a stage 1?

I'm not looking to do any extensive mods (click my name to see what's already in the car) only on 9psi at the moment but that may change in the near future..

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

89Mirageman

Buy an act 2100 and be done with it. A stock clutch is a waste unless the car is bone stock and just a daily driver. Most will even say to put in a 2600.

^ What he said. I put a stock Exedy replacement in and it sucks. Launching any harder than how you would normally pull away from a stop smokes it bad.

Diego

^ this. I roasted my 2100 so I went to a stock clutch to gimp on, not smart didn't grab for sh*t, if you have more power then stock or drive it like its not stock, don't buy stock..... if you want a stock clutch disk I have one.... 50 miles on it still has the white lettering too.

I went to a ClutchMaster FX100, its nice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Alrighty, looks like I have an OEM clutch for sale...

Thanks for the quick replies. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

89Mirageman

^^^^^You'll thank us /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. Swapping out a clutch is something you will only want to do once, trust me.

Agreed that the OEM sucks for gripping power, but i would try not to go too overkill if its a daily driver. I have an ACT 2600 and love it, but it also has a life expectancy that is an absolute fraction of what an OEM is..... mines about half gone at 10,000 miles (just had to pull the tranny so i checked it out).

belize1334

ACT is tried and true but they tend to have a stiff pedal for the grip that you get. To put it in perspective, my Clutch-net pp is rated at 65% over stock which makes it 2700lb and yet it is LIGHTER on the pedal than my old ACT-2100. Granted, the 2100 wasn't bad while I had it. They're very friendly to drive and should be enough for any 16g-esque setup. But I personally wouldn't run a 2600. Just too much ware and tare on the hydraulic system. Also, IMHO, ACT disks are crap. The organic friction surface is second to none but even their revised springs are known for popping out. Ultimately it was my popped spring that put me in the market for a new clutch and it was my personal vow never to have that problem again which landed me on a Clutch-net. Fully enclosed cages FTMFW!

BrandonEchols

^ I was actually just doing some reading here about clutches - for future knowledge...and I'm definitely going the ClutchNet route when I do mine...what disk are you running?

Last edited:

belize1334

I have their sprung 6-puck. You have to get used to it as it chatters if you're not careful. It'd be nice if somebody would offer up real-life experience with some of their full-face disks as they're probably more applicable for the average user.

Diego

Realistically this is your project, no one here (maybe some) know what your plan is on the car, the clutch and pp should only accomidate the mods you have put into the car, if bone stock, sure they set up you see is alright, but if somewhere down the road you want, let's say....... fuel upgrades,air upgrades,turbo upgrade,,,,etc,etc... you will want something to hold that power.

I would get a clutch thqt can handle about 350hp, if your stock this will give you lots of room to grow, and the pp doesn't mater much only if you want less wieght or quicker response.

belize1334

If it were me I'd just go with the red 2x pp and then pick the disk to suit your performance goals. I'd be worried that the green might not hold enough if you get the itch to turn up the boost and the red has such a beautifully light pedal that there's no downside to running it.

The opportunity arose to get a Centerforce clutch cheap so I went with that - I have a feeling I may be regretting it in the near future but it's done now..

Thanks for all of the help!

iLLeffeKt vr-4

Which CenterForce did you get?

Just the Stage 1, I drive the car 120 miles per day and am hoping to get more longevity out of it than I would a stage 2 or 3 clutch. I have put over 1000 miles on the Centerforce already and so far so good..but only time will tell.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned