The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

installing arp studs having issue.

JackstandTSi

Im installing my studs. I got them all on except for one the hat of the fastener is hitting the valve spring on cylinder 1 intake side..does the cam need to come out for that last one. I have the cams in time with the timing tool...anyone else have this issue?

CutlassJim

The flange of the nut is hitting? I've has the washers be in the way but never the nut itself.

GSTwithPSI

^This. The washers always get hung up on the springs, and a little tap with a wood handle always gets them in place for me. Never had the nut itself not clear.

Can you post a picture? Also, I'm assuming the head is placed correctly on the block aligned with the dowels?

prove_it

Yea, this is new to me. Stock Springs?

tektic

You could try putting the nut in place before lowering the head on to the studs thredding it on as you seat it.

That's how igot my washer to clear. Your going to need someone to lowerer the head while you thread it on though.

I didn't have your issue with my supertech dual spring setup.

prove_it

I wanna see a pic.

desant78

+1 for pic. I did this too and don't really see how this could be a problem. The internet isn't always right, but one thing I've learned is that when you post a problem, and NO ONE else has ever had it, usually a sign that something is very, very wrong or simple to fix!

prove_it

Also, are these standard ARP's or L19's? I think L19's are tighter and have more issues with getting nuts on. And you do have the dowels installed between the block and head correct?

Last edited:

JackstandTSi

These are regular arp...i found it is the dowel on the intake side cylinder 4...ive got the head off again and tried this is attempt number 4 of lifting on and off this head.

JackstandTSi

I believe it is lining up and part of the dowel is in the head it just wont sit flush as it needs some pressureto push the head on the dowel....when i removed the head it was a real pain to pull apart,the engine stand was lifting with it.

prove_it

Anytime I do a build, I buy new dowels. It's not required, but its a cheap comfort.

JackstandTSi

has anyone ever had issues with dowels fitting inside the head. This is the only thing stopping me from finishing my maintenance then engine goes in the car.

BENE38A

are they bent, distorted or anything. thats the only reason i could think of the head came off that block right? buy a new set x2 MS471111

prove_it

They could be damaged, or some build up/damaged hole in the head preventing a good fit.

JackstandTSi

Quoting BENE38A:
are they bent, distorted or anything. thats the only reason i could think of the head came off that block right? buy a new set x2 MS471111

The head came off the block it was tough to seperate when i lifted the head the engine stand lifted with it. Ill take a picture of the block,head and dowel after work today.

BENE38A

when I pulled my head it was easy I just lifted it off. Pics would be great the dowels could have built up junk on them either way order x2 more.

JackstandTSi

Finally got thw head on. I dont know what was holding it up but its finally seated and torqued..and got a good deal on 272 cams to install also.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned