The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

injector #1 miss fireing

frank1

I was wondering if its a common issue for galant to miss on injector#1
the reson i ask is because my vr4 is all stock and it started doing that i checked all plugs and sprak plugs all seam fine
1cly# died of detonation the SP was all mashed up but no damege to piston ???

SO could this be an ecu issue?
bad injector ?

TIA

Rausch

Clogged injector?

Running lean= detonation= something is going to break.

I'm honestly not sure what the rest of your post means... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

rgeier11

The spark plug electrode should not be smashed. Check to make sure you have the proper spark plugs installed. NGK BPR6ES will be the ones you want for a factory setup.

I have had an injector misfire, I believe code 41. My problem stemmed from a bad ECU.

frank1

well i had bpr7es plugs
you mention that you had a bad ECU ? ^^^^^^ where your caps leaking ?

toybreaker

iconoclast
Another place for a single injector problem is at the injector resisitor pack.

The wires can break at the tab where they connect to the resistor (under the white sleeve).

The resistor itself can also go bad.

The pin can also back out of the connector where it joins the main wiring harness.

Last edited:

rgeier11

I'm lucky enough to live within driving distance from forum member SteveP. He took a look at my ECU and determined one of the small chips to be bad. I can look at my recipt for exact info, but he took care of me. Also, on the ECU board was a stray piece of hair that had melted itself to the board, possibly causing the problem.

frank1

Quoting toybreaker:
Another place for a single injector problem is at the injector resisitor pack.

The wires can break at the tab where they connect to the resistor (under the white sleeve).

The resistor itself can also go bad.

The pin can also back out of the connector where it joins the main wiring harness.

I wonder if a Dsm 1990 resistor pack would work on the galant ?

Last edited:

rgeier11

I don't think it will work. 1990's have different everything.

Should work fine. According to CAPS the resistor pack for all 1G's and GVR-4's are the same.

Mark LaVallee

Nobody suggested changing the connector? OK I will. That might be your problem. I haven't killed any on the Galant, but I have on the 1G.

frank1

I checked the conector it looks fine I will look at my ECU see if anything is messs up

stevep

Quoting frank1:

I wonder if a Dsm 1990 transistor pack would work on the galant?

No you need a 91+ transistor for a GVR4, assuming it still has the factory engine and wiring.

Is this a different ECU from the one I fixed for you? You had it converted to be a 90 ECU.

Steve, CAPS says all DSM (1990-1994) resistor packs and the GVR-4 unit are the same. The original DSM part number was MD127666 but is replaced with MD172146 which is the GVR4 unit.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

I swear I read "resistor pack." My bad.

The transistor pack won't cause just one cylinder to misfire, since each coil fires 2 cylinders. If it is an ignition problem, it would have to be a bad coilpack itself.

frank1

Quoting stevep:
Quoting frank1:

I wonder if a Dsm 1990 transistor pack would work on the galant?

No you need a 91+ transistor for a GVR4, assuming it still has the factory engine and wiring.

Is this a different ECU from the one I fixed for you? You had it converted to be a 90 ECU.

wow my bad i ment resistor pack i dont have a ingnition issue

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned