The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

How to wire knock sensor to NA harness and where to buy shielding wire.

AllanL

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

toybreaker

iconoclast
... yer mom dresses you funny /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

theevozero

I agree with them. I did this over 10 years ago and did not have the best education at the time. Just because it worked then, doesn't mean it should be repeated. I do recall always having the hood open. Thinking like an engineer actually helps keep your car from burning down sometimes.

toybreaker

iconoclast
... after thinking about this for a second. I came up with a *slightly* easier solution

all the 4g's have a shielded 02 sensor wire

Just ginzu one of those at a salvage yard and use that just like the factory did

... be easier than trying to get a bulky rca to route cleanly in the harness bundle.

p.s.

yer dad dresses you funny. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Last edited:

89Mirageman

OK so here's the plan. Turn mom and dad both down this weekend and head to the junkyard with my razor knife instead. Maybe they'll just give me the wire since I dress funny, fingers crossed.

tektic

Would coax cable shielding work if grounded and I just ran my copper line through the middle? I don't recall what the original shielding looked like.

toybreaker

iconoclast
^^^yeah,

... kinda

I talked to the gentlemen who posted this thread on the phone, and about halfway thru the conversation I realised there was an easier way than the home theatre cable.

... the easy button is to just cut out a section from an n/a vehicle's 02 sensor harness. It's shielded from the factory, and as it's just braid around the signal wire housed in a sleeve, it'll fit back in the wire bundle a hell of a lot easier than anything we can cobble together.

It also takes the possibility of melties out of the way, as the o.e. harness wire is actually pretty good on these cars, and who knows what the hell the temp rating is on the other stuff.

... especially co-ax stuff

the second kid always has it easier /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

... but Mom always did like Chris better /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Last edited:

89Mirageman

My kid brother got my hand me downs too so you know what that means.

misterfixit

Hi Chris,

Sorry to take so long. Yes the shielding is to prevent the wire from acting like an ariel and picking up noise and the like (The knock sensor wire is tied down at both ends so will be susceptible to RF). It's a single wire device so you cant twist the wire. So yes as has been said I would reinstate it.

Important thing to do is tie the shield off at the factory location (Where the other shields in the harness tie down) this will ensure they are all tied back to the same ground plane and are effective.

Coax is just braid, but the %age cover will be different depending on the class (More %age coverage = better RF resistance). If you have an old braided brake line that would yield some very useful braid with good coverage. It is typical to use 85% or better coverage for signal wires for aircraft stuff and ARINC type data busses.

Another tip, and this is also used a lot on aircraft is twisted pair. This is where the high and low side are twisted together. This ensures that both are exposed to the same RF and that cancels itself out. Infact it's typical to use both together.

Infact I have used chopped up braid from scrapped looms and as has been suggested here I'd say this was a good way to go. Make sure you go to the factory earth point.

Are you putting a 4g63 in the mirage?

tektic

I have another question on this topic.
Is this wasted? Or is the exposed wire just shielding?

Was this supposed to connect into the sensor body, and if so can it be repaired?

gmp

That looks like the shielding around is frayed don't worry about it. Really it's there to stop the noise interference from other things on the car. You should be just fine, a good example of this shielding being to short most 02 sensor have the same stuff and it's a bit shorter usually but they work fine with a bit missing.

Glad to see someone out there isn't afraid to say screw the toasty 1g harness, and start with a nice n/a harness that isn't destroyed.

89Mirageman

Rich, I'm just gathering parts and info for now but the plan is to eventually swap a 4g63t in. This harness was just too nice not to use, I spotted it in a 93 na talon. All of the connectors for the t-stat housing are all there and not broken which is rare. I'll be sure to snap some pics of the knock sensor install so that others can use it in the future. Thanks to everyone who offered info, very glad I asked now because I learned quite a lot.

misterfixit

I know that feeling. It's why my lancer is now rocking a RHD to LHD converted Proton loom (Well that was the base I used) It was just too good to pass over and made a sound base to modify from. The original on the car was just junk.

I think for every Mitsubishi I've owned I've got at least two boxes of dissected looms that have been used to 'rejuvenate' an existing one. Before coming out here I actually took time out to build a set for spare for the green car spare engine /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. So now I have a complete driveline ready to go with the loom/hoses/cables coiled up ontop just resting on a crawler should I have any issue in the future. It can be a 'swapout' /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rich

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned