The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

How and Why: PTE Turbo blown

curtis

Take fine cloth like a t shirt and put around the IC pipe at the turbos compressor outlet and hook up a vacuum to it what ever impacted the blades is probably in the hot side tank of the IC. Need to do this anyway before the new turbo goes on.

Usually oil starvation shows side loading and one side of the turbine and compressor housing will be scratched by the blades if you have scratches and chipped teeth it ate something then got out of balance then side loaded.

Andy_S

I plan on removing all ic piping and doing an inspection and cleaning. I have a vertical flow IC so would you think it would still be in the bottom of it or did it already make its way through the engine? Haven't looked at the hotside yet, I guess that will show if it did. Man I am so bummed this happened. I only drove the car 20 miles. Thats usually my luck.

So whats the guesses on cost for a PTE rebuild?

jepherz

Staff member
Shouldn't need a rebuild, should it? Maybe it'll need a new compressor housing, compressor wheel, and rebalance.

grocery_getter

Looking at that intake piping, its no wonder it kills the turbo. Don't put another turbo on that car till you do something with that intake piping. Big difference between someone knowing how to weld and someone knowing what to do and not to do when building something that will go on a car's induction system. You should make the guy who build that intake piping pay for the cost for the turbo repair. There is a consequence for every action. I hope the imbalance isn't too bad causing your shaft to be bent out of straight as well.

Andy_S

The previous owner installed/welded the intake (I think). I didn't even get a chance to find the problem because I ONLY DROVE THE CAR 20 MILES. I am pretty much SOL on this one. I have another intake and I am going to throw a stocker turbo on for now. It not like the previous owner going to replace it for me anyways.

NYC86ZC

Quoting Aspod:

Take a look at that weld job.

Holy crap, that's the problem right there. My first welds i ever did were never this bad. IF they were this bad, there's no way i'd leave it in its current state in my intake pipe. You definitely had small metal fragments from those welds jumping around on your compressor blades.

Hopefully you can get by with a new wheel and a balance.

GL

Andy_S

Just a little update. Turbo will be on its way back tomorrow. PTE was more than helpful and now I'll get this turbo back on the car.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned